RE: Funding & a Display case

Susan McLeod (SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info)
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:08:18 -0500

From: Susan McLeod <From: Susan McLeod <SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:08:18 -0500
Subject: RE: Funding & a Display case

The construction of an exhibit case can have an impact on the preservation of what's in it. Janet, do you have access to a good article on the standar ds for cases? Susan McLeod

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Sylvia & Paul Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 7:05 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Funding & a Display case

See if a member or someone in your community might make such a display case
. We had one made for the cost of the lumber, special glass. It has a gla ss top and sides with sliding glass doors. We do not have locks on the slid ing glass but they are easily installed and inexpensive. Lights can be inst alled inside or flourescent tube lights mounted on a wall above the cabinet
 so objects can be viewed. Sylvia Wollemann Knox Creek Heritage Center Brantwood
----- Original Message ----- From: Seymour, Janet I<mailto:DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:29 PM Subject: FW: Funding & a Display case

From: Monette Bebow-Reinhard [mailto:grimm1@bayland.net] Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:22 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: RE: Funding, Grants & a Display case

The Archaic Copper Museum is funded both city and state - the DNR owns the site, but they do not contribute to the operation of the museum, so the cit y and the Oconto County Historical Society do. I'm looking for other sourc es, grants, etc., and we do have a membership.

I put out a newsletter and one member, for instance, has offered to pay for
 the museum display case we need. Does anyone know where to get a good qua lity used lockable display case - I've been looking to no available, and am
 open to about anything under $500 right now. We are starting to take in a
 collection of copper spear points I want to put on display. Monette

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Kathleen Hart Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 11:21 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Funding

Kathy, next time put Historical Society in the subject. I almost deleted y ou because I was not familiar with your name. Kathleen -Greendale Historical Society

Some societies get subsidized by the community they live in. If you can wo rk it out that is ideal. We do not get subsidized. We have membership dues and sell
 notecards and mugs and other items. We are putting together a calendar to sell for 2 010 but we have events here where we can sell them; a farmer's market, Village Days, H ay Days, Dickens Christmas. We have a tour of homes in September which brings in a few hundred $. We are writing grants for a special project to readapt our orig inal police and fire station buildings. Our operating expenses are minimal. We have a
 room that we work out of in the basement of the library with no rent. We use their p hone line. So other than paper, printing, mailings etc., we have no expenses. I would
 try to convince the local government that it would be worthwhile to allot a few hundred per
 month to your efforts. Good luck. Kathleen

________________________________ From: Kathy Laakso <kathyl@douglashistory.org> To: ListServe <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 11:10:37 AM Subject: Funding We're interested in knowing how other historical societies are funded, whet her private, county or city or mixture of them. Can you help us out? Thanks.

Kathy Laakso Douglas County Historical Society Superior, WI