Re: Military trail

cnite51@aol.com
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:06:11 EDT

From: cnite51@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:06:11 EDT
Subject: Re: Military trail

Hi!
  I'm on the board of directors of the Mayville Limestone School Museum. We were donated a map of Wisconsin, circa 1920. Hwy 33 is not on the map. Since the map is about 60 years after the Civil War, and the map doesn't have Hwy 33 on it, I don't believe that it was a military trail during the Civil War. On the other hand, someone else contributed that they thought a military trail went from Portage to Fond du Lac. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, it can't be Hwy 33. Although Hwy 33 is in Portage, it doesn't to Fond du Lac. My thought is that there probably could have been a military trail between the two cities, and someone erroneously decided it was Hwy 33, instead of another trail.
  Those are just my thoughts. Not a native Wisconsinite.
  Carolyn Knight Mayville Limestone School Museum