Re: Military trail

Laurie Wermter (lwermter@library.wisc.edu)
Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:29:32 -0500

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:29:32 -0500
From: Laurie Wermter <lwermter@library.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Military trail

The U.S. Department of the Interior traces its creation to 1849--from their website's
'significant dates' portion:

"1849. Creation of the Home Department consolidating the General Land Office
(Department of the Treasury), the Patent Office (Department of State), the Indian Affairs Office (War Department) and the military pension offices (War and Navy Departments). Subsequently, Interior functions expand to include the census, regulation of territorial governments, exploration of the western wilderness, and management of the D.C. jail and water system." [source: http://www.doi.gov/history.html]

Regards,

Laurie Wermter Wisconsin Labor History Society lwermter@library.wisc.edu

--
Regards,

Laurie Wermter lwermter@library.wisc.edu

“Joy from Truth’s own glass of fire Sweetly on the Searcher smiles; Lest on Virtue’s steeps she tire, Joy the tedious path beguiles.”

[from “Hymn to Joy” by Friedrich Schiller, 1759-1805]