RE: A Question for the List Serve

Cindy Downs (cdowns@mhtc.net)
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:59:23 -0500

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:59:23 -0500
From: "Cindy Downs" <cdowns@mhtc.net>
Subject: RE: A Question for the List Serve

Oshkosh Public Museum does this quite successfully as well (scavenger hunt). My family went there this weekend, and the girls had fun with their clues etc. BTW: The Public Enemies exhibit is wonderful. Those of you that have not seen it should make it a priority...well done.

Cindy Downs Blue Mounds Area Historical Society

From: Monroe County Local History Room<mclhr@centurytel.net> To:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Date: 8/11/2009 11:19 AM Subject: RE: A Question for the List Serve Hello.

We here at the Monroe County Local History Room & Museum have been giving out clipboards with scavenger hunt pages for a couple of years now and they have proven very successful with our visitors. We created the scavenger hunt pages to appeal to 5-15 year olds. Families work on them together. Kids get interested in history. On each page there is a close up picture of an artifact on display and a short rhyme about what it might be. The challenge for the kids is to locate and identify what the actual artifact is. The scavenger hunt page idea is a simple yet effective way to engage our audience.

Jarrod M. Roll Director - County Historian Monroe County Local History Room & Museum 200 West Main St. Sparta, WI 54656 608-269-8680 www.MCLHR.org

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Seymour, Janet I Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 2:25 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: FW: A Question for the List Serve

-----Original Message----- From: crystalokk@aol.com [mailto:crystalokk@aol.com] Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 10:57 AM To: Seymour, Janet I Subject: A Question for the List Serve

I live just across from the McFarland (Dane Co.) Historical Museum and am a board member. I will be having a family gathering the 22nd of August and as part of the activities I have the idea to have a treasure hunt at the museum, looking for items which my family has donated to the collection. Aside from listing the items, what other kind of information or hints should I include? If you have done this kind of activity before at your museum, I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have for a successful 'hunt'! Crystal Lokken