RE: List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

Lorraine Gentz (gggentz@live.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:13:55 -0500

From: Lorraine Gentz <gggentz@live.com>
Subject: RE: List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:13:55 -0500

The Gillett Area Museum had the same problem on accepting donation after we
 were running short on space so we simply told donors that our accessioning
 committee would check on the donation first before we would accept arifact
 and return it with the proper explanation and a THANK YOU. Have had no tr ouble with that, knowing that some one might feel miffed. Lorraine Gentz
, Vice Pres. GAHS Gillett, Wi

From: Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:12:50 -0500 Subject: List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

List Serve Members - Here is an inquiry from the Jacksonport Historical Soc iety - please reply to the list with your suggestions and comments. Thank y ou! Janet

  Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Soc iety c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250
  Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

To All List Serve Members:
  The Jacksonport Historical Society, Inc. has asked me to put together a w ritten policy for accepting artifacts for the Jacksonport Historical Societ y Archives. About a year ago we purchased property and are in the planning
 stage as to the layout of the property and design of a museum (or a group of buildings for a museum). We have been accepting everything that someone
 has donated to the Historical Society, but are getting limited on storag e space. There fore the general consensus of the Board of Trustees is that
 we need to create a policy for collection of artifacts, but still want t o be careful that we do not hurt anyone's feelings or "step on anyone's toe s" by not accepting something that we feel would not be a usable artifact f or us.
  We would be pleased to hear from other Historical Society's as to what thei r artifact collection policy is or any suggestions and advice that they may
 have.
  Regards Eileen Roberts Jacksonport Historical Society 4768 Hwy 57 Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 Phone: 920-743-6415 jacksonporthistory@charter.net www.jacksonporthistoricalsociety.org

_________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/