List Serve: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:27:10 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:27:10 -0500
Subject: List Serve: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

Thanks for all these good examples and suggestions - please continue sendin g your ideas and examples. Attached is a short outline describing the typical contents of a collection s policy.

You can visit http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/whrab/wclh.pd f to view a workbook on creating a collections policy. (Let me know if you cannot access the PDF.) Although the workbook is geared towards historical records, the basic information and sample collections policy in it are appl icable to three dimensional artifact collections as well.

Janet Seymour Wisconsin Historical Society Field Services

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Schumacher Farm Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:19 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: List Serve FW: Policy for Collecting Artifacts

When a person brings in an item We complete a Field Receipt. This form allows us to give it an accessionin g number, description, and signature of the donor and signature of receiver
. We give a photocopy of this form to the donor and file the other in the Field Receipt binder.

We explain to the donor that our donations are board approved at each month ly board meeting and that we will be in contact with them after the next me eting. (This way we only take in what is appropriate or needed for our par ticular time period.)

If it is approved: We file the Field Receipt in proper order in the Field Receipt binder.

Send a thank you letter along with 2 "Deed of Gift" forms with S.A.S.E, so that the donor acknowledges that the item now belongs to the Friends. The y return one sheet and keep one sheet for their records. Our sheet is file d in the Deed of Gift binder.

The Artifact
 The item is then marked with it's accessioning number, restored if necessa ry, stored properly with a copy of the Field Receipt (that gave all the inf ormation about the item and donor)

If it is not approved, the person is contacted, and given a letter thanking
 them for thinking of us. We are often able to refer them to another group
 where the item may be more suitable.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Seymour, Janet I - WHS <On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Seymour, Janet I - WHS <Janet.Seymour@wis consinhistory.org<mailto:Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>> wrote: List Serve Members - Here is an inquiry from the Jacksonport Historical Soc iety - please reply to the list with your suggestions and comments. Thank y ou! Janet

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Socie ty c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

________________________________ To All List Serve Members:

The Jacksonport Historical Society, Inc. has asked me to put together a wri tten policy for accepting artifacts for the Jacksonport Historical Society Archives. About a year ago we purchased property and are in the planning s tage as to the layout of the property and design of a museum (or a group of
 buildings for a museum). We have been accepting everything that someone h as donated to the Historical Society, but are getting limited on storage sp ace. There fore the general consensus of the Board of Trustees is that we need to create a policy for collection of artifacts, but still want to be c areful that we do not hurt anyone's feelings or "step on anyone's toes" by not accepting something that we feel would not be a usable artifact for us.

We would be pleased to hear from other Historical Society's as to what thei r artifact collection policy is or any suggestions and advice that they may
 have.

Regards Eileen Roberts Jacksonport Historical Society 4768 Hwy 57 Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 Phone: 920-743-6415 jacksonporthistory@charter.net<mailto:jacksonporthistory@charter.net> www.jacksonporthistoricalsociety.org<http://www.jacksonporthistoricalsociet y.org/>