Re: List Serve FW: New Museum Funds question

Deanna (dlsw@verizon.net)
Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:56:19 -0600 (CST)

Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:56:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Deanna <dlsw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: List Serve FW: New Museum Funds question

The WI State Hist. Society has people on staff to help any of us write grants, etc.

If you can come to Cottage Grove tomorrow for the Dane Co. Networking meeting (9-12), one of the State Hist. Soc. staff will be there and you can speak with him, along with Dane Co. Hist. Soc. staff.  If you need mo re info on this, you can either let me know, or go to the Dane Co. Hist. So c. website for full itinerary info and directions.

I envy you this opportunity.  We also are allowed space by the to wnship in the basement of their old town hall, now called Flynn Hall.  We have lots of stuff stored in the new Town Hall basement, as well as in a couple of homes.  Its a big step tho to buy a building and incur deb t for the next generation to pay off.  I don't know how your society i s, but in ours most of the active members are over 60 yrs of age, so we kno w if we decide to buy and remodel a local historic house it will be our gra ndkids that finish paying it off.  Guess we're all just chickens.

I also belong to the Marshall Area Historical Society, and they bought the first fire station about 7-8 yrs ago.  They had a $90,000 debt wh ich is now reduced to somewhere in the $70,000 range I believe.  But t hey get $5000 annually from the Village automatically, only have 2-3 bakesa les a year, and 1 garage sale.  The rest is memberships and donations.   Cottage Grove hasn't been that fortunate, and right now with the eco nomy the way it is, probably not a good time to ask....