RE: Archival images

Draeger, Jim R - WHS (Jim.Draeger@wisconsinhistory.org)
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:12:38 -0600

From: "Draeger, Jim R - WHS" <Jim.Draeger@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:12:38 -0600
Subject: RE: Archival images

I agree with Bob's advice, but add that a print produced on an ink jet usin g the correct paper and correct pigmented ink will be long lasting. Not ev ery printer, paper, and ink combination will result in long lasting prints.
  The wilhlem-research site that Bob mentioned will help you to determine i f your printer set up will give you the archival stability you need. I wou ld also add that the true archival image is the digital file itself. In th e digital age, that file is like your camera negative. Keep track of those
 digital files, keep them organized, back up the files on your computer and
 migrate them to new formats as needed.

In addition, according to Wilhelm, a commercially processed color print on Fuji Crystal Archive paper is expected to last 100 years. Walmart, Shopko and other large scale photo processors use Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

Jim

Jim Draeger Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street Madison, WI 53706 Phone 608 264 6511 Email jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory.org<mailto:<mailto:jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory. org>
Web Site http://www.wisconsinhistory.org<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/>

<mailto:jim.draeger@wisconsinhistory.org> Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846
________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bob & Emogene Dodsworth Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:45 AM To: Listserve Subject: Re: Archival images

Ms Derrick,

Printing a digital photo with an ink jet printer using pigmented inks will produce an image far exceeding any black and white or color product commonl y available from the wet process era of photography. Using the manufacturer
's recommended paper, longevity without color loss should exceed 200 years.
 See www.wilhelm-research.com for the data and more information.

Bob Dodsworth Mazomanie Historical Society