RE: Research Fees

Matt Carpenter (matt@myhistorymuseum.org)
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:15:19 -0600

From: "Matt Carpenter" <matt@myhistorymuseum.org>
Subject: RE: Research Fees
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:15:19 -0600

At The History Museum at the Castle (Outagamie County Historical Society) we charge fees for queries unless we can answer the question immediately without research. It doesn't matter if a volunteer answers the question or a paid staff member. Our philosophy is that our volunteer's time has a value, the organization has limited resources and the person who makes the query is getting a valuable service by contracting with our knowledgeable staff. Since we are a member organization we give a benefit to our members in the form of a discount.

Here's the description from our website:

Research Fees

Thank you for contacting The History Museum at the Castle with your research question. Because of the number of requests we receive and our limited staff resources, we must charge fees for research when your question cannot be readily answered.

The research fees are:

* $10 per hour for members of The History Museum (half hour minimum)
* $25 per hour for non-members (half hour minimum)
* On site research: FREE to members, $7.50 for adults, $5.50 for seniors and students. Reading Room hours are Tuesday mornings from 9 - noon by appointment. Call (920) 733-8445 ext. 113 for appointments.

Many of the sources we turn to in our research are available in other public
<http://www.myhistorymuseum.org/research/resources.asp> repositories. If you would like us to pursue your research question, please print and fill out the Contract
<http://www.foxvalleyhistory.org/research/contract-research.pdf> for Payment of Research Fees, indicating the information you need and the number of paid hours you authorize The History Museum to work on your request. Mail the form to us. We can conduct no research until we receive this contract. We will contact you after your request has been answered or after the staff has expended the number of hours you authorized.

Matt Carpenter

Deputy Director and Curator of Collections

The History Museum at the Castle

Appleton, WI

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Schuette Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 6:59 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Research Fees

We are looking to revamp our research request fees, and wonder what other historical societies charge for that kind of service.

Do you use a flat rate for different kinds of research? Or do you go by an hourly rate? If so, what is your rate/hour?

If your researchers are volunteers, do you charge the research requestor for their time?

Thanks, for any help you may wish to share.

Bill Schuette

Sauk County Historical Society