List Serve FW: Register Now to Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week, May 15-23, 2010 / Call for museum images

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:23:38 -0600

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:23:38 -0600
Subject: List Serve FW: Register Now to Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week, May 15-23, 2010  / Call for museum images

________________________________ From: Bridgitt Zielke [zielkefamily@charter.net] Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 8:30 AM To: Seymour, Janet I - WHS Subject: Register Now to Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week, May 15-23, 2010
/ Call for museum images

Dear Museum Representatives:

First of all, I wanted to invite your institution to participate in Wiscons in Museums Week (May 15-23, 2010) and International Museum Day (Tuesday, Ma y 18, 2010). Since 1977, International Museum Day has provided a nucleus f or museums’ creative aspirations and efforts and a focus for internationa l attention on work done by museums. It is designed to be a world-wide oppo rtunity to promote our institutions and reflect on a particular theme.

This year’s theme, Museums for Social Harmony, is especially relevant as we are so important to the protection and safeguarding of all forms of heri tage and to the promotion of cultural exchanges. As W. Richard West, Jr., Director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian states
, through our exhibitions and public programming, including collaborations and partnerships directly with culturally and linguistically diverse popula tions, museums provide visitors with a safe place for the consideration an d debate of social and cultural questions and issues that need resolution a nd reconciliation if, ultimately, 'social harmony' is to be achieved and pr eserved.

This week (or day) can be a springboard for initiatives that promote the wo rk of our institutions to the public, draw the attention of supervisory bod ies and governments to the role and needs of museums, and foster dialogue b etween professionals and across disciplines.

We ask you and your institution to participate in this state-wide program a nd to either create or incorporate existing programs into our state-wide ce lebration of Wisconsin museums. Such activities can be held and publicized throughout the week of May 15-23 or just on International Museum Day, May 1 8th.

If your organization is interested in participating, please complete the re gistration form which can be found in the Wisconsin Federation of Museums's
 winter newsletter or on our website: www.w<http://www.w/>isconsinmuseums. org. For additional information, please contact me at org. For additional information, please contact me at zielkefamily@charte r.net<mailto:zielkefamily@charter.net>.

For this same project, WFM is looking for museum images that could be used for the Wisconsin Museums Week poster and bookmark. We are looking for int eresting, engaging photos. We would like images that catch the public's ey e and entice them to visit Wisconsin museums. We are hoping to include ima ges that show visitors engaged in a museum experience or unique, interestin g objects on display at your museum. If you have images that reflect this year's theme "Museums for Social Harmony", please send those too. Please e mail the photo(s), which should be saved as a high resolution jpeg or tif, and I'll forward the image(s) to the graphic designers who are creating the
 poster and bookmark. The designers are creating a store of images that th ey can pull from to create this year's poster and bookmark.

I'll look forward to your participation as well as receiving some great ima ges. It would be very helpful if you could get the images to me by Mar. 3r d. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at (920) 452-6276 or zielkefamily@charter.net<mailto:zielkefamily@charter.net>

Sincerely, Bridgitt Zielke Independent Museums Program Consultant and Wisconsin Federation of Museums board member