Re: Scanning Documents

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:41:30 -0500

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning Documents
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:41:30 -0500

A common misconception, that we own INFORMATION. We own books, letters, manuscripts, photos. We can own specific combinations of words and sentences and images -- text and pictures can be copyrighted. We may own and restrict usage of such materials. But information, knowledge we do not and cannot own. BUT that isn't really the issue here.

I agree with what most of the writers have pointed out. We are the repositories of historical pictures, books, etc. etc. It costs to maintain these treasures. It costs us to have staff to help patrons find and use the archives. It cost for our staffs to make copies. It is surely not unreasonable to charge for those services and for our basic costs of keeping and preserving these historical archives..

I also totally agree that we can and should charge a reasonable fee for the commercial use of our materials. If somebody writes a book or produces an advertisement using our copyrighted materials, it is reasonable that they should be charged an appropriate usage fee. They are commercially benefiting from our archives.

Further, if it is appropriate and necessary, we can and should restrict usage to suitably protect the original materials . THIS might be a good reason for not allowing someone to scan materials, but, consider that the mere act of allowing someone to handle a rare newspaper or book or other physical object likely causes more wear and tear and potential damage than a scan. So it may be reasonable in such cases to insist upon having only staff members handle or scan rare, fragile materials.

BUT where I strongly disagree is when some patrons are allowed to handle, look at, make extensive pencil notes or even write down actual text, transcribe entire texts in shorthand, read text aloud into a tape recorder, or some other traditional way of making use of two-dimensional archives. . . all for free. but when someone else records the data using electronic digital methods, e.g. a computer and scanner, suddenly, this is different and a fee is charged. This is discriminatory.

If you charge people to make scans, then consistency says you also must charge others who take their notes with a pencil and paper And if you let someone take pencil and paper notes, or even transcribe entire texts with shorthand, without charging a fee, it is wrong to charge somebody because they choose to use a scanner rather than a pencil and shorthand book.

Institutions should establish sensible policies... charge fees for commercial reuse? sure! charge fees for use of archival materials? sure, that can be appropriate to help cover our overhead costs. It can be appropriate to control damage to fragile materials by limiting or restricting usage of some orginal materials?

But to allow some people to use materials without a fee while charging others a fee simply because they choose digital electronic recording methods, not traditional pencil and paper, etc. that is flat out discriminatory!

don