Re: Memorial doantions

Maureen Giese (renie.giese@gmail.com)
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:08:42 -0500

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:08:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Memorial doantions
From: Maureen Giese <renie.giese@gmail.com>

At the Waterloo Area Historical Society we do have a policy for Memorials, if not designated for a project, it goes into the General Fund where it can be used for any Society need. In our recent fund-raising project, we included something like Donation in Memory of...or In Honor of, and that will be put on a plaque of donors. The local funeral home also has donation cards from us for giving to the Society. Many times someone sees it is listed in the Obituary, donations may be given in memory of __ to the Waterloo Area Historical Society. (example) Also, we listed in our last newsletter about taking a minimum required distribution (MRD) during this year, you are eligible to donate all or part of the MRD to (your society name) because we are a tax exempt, charitable organization described by the IRC..Section 501 (c) (3). However, this past year you didn't have to take it, but next year it will be a "given."
' I really think your Newsletter is the best vehicle to let people know about your Needs..also your Deeds...and of course thank you's to donors is a must..also a special write up about the person who passed away is always nice. If donations are designated for a roof, example..we also have put the amount into a CD or some other protected method so it is not spent.

Hope this helps, Maureen Giese