2010 WI OH Day: UW--Madison Campus Voices

2010 WI OH Day (treeves@library.wisc.edu)
Tue, 11 May 2010 09:17:14 -0500

From: "2010 WI OH Day" <treeves@library.wisc.edu>
Subject: 2010 WI OH Day: UW--Madison Campus Voices
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:17:14 -0500

UW—Madison Campus Voices: 1970 TAA Strike

Forty years ago this semester, another chapt er in the history of UW—Madison and its student protest movement unfolded . (For a timeline of UW—Madison student protest movement, see http://archives.library.wi sc.edu/uwhistory.html.)  This chapter invo lved the classic struggle of labor versus management, as well as a generati onal battle between the groups now called “The Baby Boomers” and “The Greatest Generation.” Simply stated it was the 1970 TAA Strike.

Organized by UW—Madison graduate students in 1966, the Teaching Assistants’ Association (TAA) entered into its firs t bargaining sessions with the University in the summer of 1969 to negotiat e TA funding, working conditions, and student roles in educational planning . At the beginning of 1970, these sessions had not produced a mutually desi red outcome, and TAA members voted to strike. The strike lasted from March 15 to April 13, 1970, ending that month with the very first contract for st udent workers at UW-Madison and one of the first in the United States.

The UW—Madison Archives holds detailed inf ormation on this strike in paper, visual, and audio formats. In the late 19 70s, former UW—Madison oral historian Laura Smail conducted over 30 inter views with graduate students, faculty, and administrators to get their stor ies, memories, and opinions about this historic labor action.

In this modern, digital era, this rich archi val material should be made available to folks in places and in ways they c an access them.  The campus oral history progr am—a part of the campus archives—has begun this task. Specifically, we have put the full audio and transcripts (through the UW Digital Collections Center) of the TAA Strike online. Also, we compiled an iTunesU album of au dio clips and created a podcast and mini-movie that tell this story. Presen ting this strike has become the first sub-project in what we have coined UW —Madison Campus Voices project.

UW—Madison Campus Voices exists to (re)cap ture, present, and preserve some of the strongest historical stories and me mories of UW—Madison, through the people who lived them. We intend to pub lish two more sub-projects (Sterling Hall Bombing & Badger Village) dur ing the summer and early fall. And we envision more campus sub-projects and perhaps a statewide attempt, working with Wisconsinites both on and off ca mpus to find funding to gather and preserve historical documents and to pre sent stories about those documents to a wider audience.

We hope those interested will go to the fron t page of our UW—Madison Campus Voices project at http://archives.librar y.wisc.edu/oral-history/campusvoices.html. From there one can click to the UWDCC’s presentation of the full audio and transcripts, can listen to our iTunesU album of TAA Strike narrators’ excerpts and our podcast, and can watch the mini-movie.  We must thank the Brittingham Fund for their seed money to pilot this and the two future web presentations and to hire the student staff, Katie Gleischman, Megan Falate r, and Ellen Jacks, who worked on it.

For more information about UW—Madison Camp us Voices, please contact Troy Reeves, head of the campus oral history prog ram, at 608-890-1899, or at tre eves@library.wisc.edu.