Policy regarding interns

LCHS Curator (lchscurator@centurytel.net)
Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:23:56 -0500

From: "LCHS Curator" <lchscurator@centurytel.net>
Subject: Policy regarding interns
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:23:56 -0500

I have 2 undergraduate interns working with me this summer and would appreciate some feedback from others regarding your policies regarding interns. Specifically I am wondering about supervision: these two students are being trained to evaluate and catalog a collection of artifacts on location at a museum not connected to our offices. I plan to be with them some of the time but not all of the time. One of the reasons for seeking interns is to expand the amount of work being done in the collections, and if I need to oversee them every minute it will defeat the purpose.

Am I making a big mistake? At present LCHS has no policy regarding interns and their handling of artifacts, although volunteers do work with artifacts in some situations. The students are being trained , and I will not leave them on their own until I am satisfied I can trust them.

Thanks everyone!

Peggy Derrick, Curator

La Crosse County Historical Society

P.O. Box 1272