RE: Leases of Historic Properties

Susan McLeod (SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info)
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:06:36 -0500

From: Susan McLeod <From: Susan McLeod <SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:06:36 -0500
Subject: RE: Leases of Historic Properties

Hi, Craig,

The City of Eau Claire owns the Chippewa Valley Museum buildings in Carson Park (our main facilities), since that is a city park and we could not own the property under it. We are two-thirds of the way through a 50-year lease
 at $1 per year. If CVM ceases to operate these facilities as a museum, the y revert to the city. The city provides insurance on the structure. CVM pro vides liability insurance and insures our "leasehold improvements" and coll ections (which belong to the museum corporation). CVM raised the funds to b uild, improve and maintain the building. The city has contributed to some o f these campaigns but has not been the principal donor. City maintains the grounds. If you'd like a copy of the original agreement, I can mail you one
 if you send a mailing address. We don't have an electronic version since i t was written in the 1970s.

The city also provides $58,000 in operating support for the museum (about 9
 percent of our operating budget). This is separate from the lease agreemen t.

Susan McLeod Director Chippewa Valley Museum PO Box 1204 Eau Claire WI 54702 715-834-7871

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Craig Lahm Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:57 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Leases of Historic Properties

Recently, there has been discussion about transferring ownership of a local
 historic site to our city. The city is interested in owning the site IF o ur historical society is interested in advising, operating, managing, overs eeing the site. I have been told it is common in Wisconsin for municipalit ies to own a site and lease it to a local historical society for its operat ion.

We'd like to directly receive copies of lease agreements from historical so cieties that operate under this arrangement. We'd also welcome your sugges tions, cautions, problems, and benefits of leasing an historic site from a municipality.

Craig Lahm Kaukauna Area Historical Society craiglahm@gmail.com<mailto:craiglahm@gmail.com> www.kaukaunahistory.org<http://www.kaukaunahistory.org>