Leases of Historic Properties

Craig Lahm (craiglahm@gmail.com)
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:56:44 -0500

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:56:44 -0500
From: Craig Lahm <craiglahm@gmail.com>
Subject: Leases of Historic Properties

/Recently, there has been discussion about transferring ownership of a local historic site to our city. The city is interested in owning the site IF our historical society is interested in advising, operating, managing, overseeing the site. I have been told it is common in Wisconsin for municipalities to own a site and lease it to a local historical society for its operation.

We'd like to directly receive copies of lease agreements from historical societies that operate under this arrangement. We'd also welcome your suggestions, cautions, problems, and benefits of leasing an historic site from a municipality.

Craig Lahm Kaukauna Area Historical Society craiglahm@gmail.com www.kaukaunahistory.org/