Magic Lantern and glass slides

LCHS Curator (lchscurator@centurytel.net)
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:26:33 -0500

From: "LCHS Curator" <lchscurator@centurytel.net>
Subject: Magic Lantern and glass slides
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:26:33 -0500

We have just received a gift of a simple magic lantern (candle-powered slide projector) accompanied by a collection of glass slides to use it with. The slides are juvenile scenes, very charming, and we intend to scan them and make digital files with them. In the meantime, I need help knowing how to store them and if/how to clean them. Each is a single sheet of glass, with no cover, and the images are (I believe) lithographs.

Anyone out there with experience with these? I'm coming up with nothing in CCI Notes and Conserv O Grams, and I am a bit baffled as to what kind of conservator to even direct my questions to. These aren't photography, nor are they prints on paper. Some have stains, or paint transfer, and all have what looks like "crud" but is probably an old finish. The art work sure is nice though!

Peggy Derrick, Curator

La Crosse County Historical Society

P.O. Box 1272

La Crosse, WI 54602-1272