Re: Questions about Blogs

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:58:55 +0000

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Subject: FW: Questions about Blogs
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:58:55 +0000

________________________________ From: sara steele [smsteele@wisc.edu] Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 2:24 PM To: Seymour, Janet I Subject: Re: Questions about Blogs

IElaine, a descendent of William C. Wells, who built the first house in Cot tage Grove township, sent me the following information when I wondered whet her his image could have been taken in 1840 as the person who had sent her the image said.

You probably know this or have someone in your historical society who does.

Here’s a quick tutorial on 3 types of early photos:

Daguerreotype – invented in 1839. Used until about 1880. Positive image on a metal support with glass covering (think Mirror!) Lateral reversal of image (like you’d see if you were looking in a mirror
) Encased in hinged case with latch (image size as small as 1.5” x 1.75”) Case is called a Union Case – made from shellac and wood fiber. Very ear ly thermoplastic technique. Sometimes incorrectly called “gutta percha
” Cases produced in the 1850s through 1860s Image usually surrounded by decorative metal Key point: the image is reflective. You have to tilt the photo back and f orth to see the image.

Ambrotype – developed in the 1850s as a successor to Daguerreotype method
 – used well into the 1860s but superseded by tintype method Negative image on glass using emulsion with black painted or velvet backing
 which creates the photo positive image Contained in same type of hinged case as Daguerreotypes, often with elabora te die-cut brass or copper edging Could be mounted so that there was no lateral reversal as in Daguerreotypes Cheaper and less exposure time than Daguerreotypes Likely to be tinted or colored with jewelry painted in, etc. Key point: Ambrotype is somewhat reflective, but not like a mirror.

Tintypes – also developed in the 1850s. Used well into the 20th century Negative image on metal (not tin) using emulsion which creates the photo po sitive image Could be “cut to fit” a case or frame Could be tinted Cheaper, faster to produce, and more portable than the previous 2 glass met hods Not fragile so usually not found in hinged cases Lateral reversal (mirror image) as in Daguerreotype If cased, can be confused with Ambrotype. The thickness of the case can be
 a clue. A tintype case is generally thinner.

How to tell the difference between a Daguerreotype and Ambrotype: The quick and easy way to tell the difference between the two is that a dag uerreotype will look like a mirror when you move it in the light. An ambrot ype will not.

All three photo techniques could be as large as 8.5 x 13 inches or as small
 as 1.5 x 1.75 inches.

Keep the glass images away from dampness and sunlight. Don’t take them a part unless you are expert in reassembling them!

When I asked about the glass plates that HS's were mentioning in messages, she replied that they might be from either of the first two processes.

Sara.

----- Original Message ----- From: Seymour, Janet I<mailto:DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu> To: sara steele<mailto:smsteele@wisc.edu> Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:49 PM Subject: RE: Questions about Blogs

Sara,

Please do send along the message about glass plates. I’m sure that folks would be interested.

Janet

From: sara steele [mailto:smsteele@wisc.edu] Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:28 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Questions about Blogs

Hi

Which Historical Societies are using blogs? I have the same questions that
 Jarrod has about FaceBook but am several months behind and am just consid ering doing some informal blogging perhaps as a means of sharing some of th e photos in our photo collection and some of my views of the difference bet ween collecting photos as visual records and accepting them like other muse um items.

We currently share our photos to illustrate text in specific-topics report s which run about 50 pages and are run by a printer--often with color cover s--extremely reasonable costwise. We do not have a website.

In addition to Jarrod's questions, I'd love to have help from an individual
 who rememers how they got a site and got started with a blog.

Indivduals or societies who use all three can be helpful in sharing compari sons in terms of roles and uses.

Another question, sort of like Jerrod's last one is how do people locate a blog? Do they show up when you google? Thank you!

History of image production On a different subject a descendent of the man who built the first house in
 Cottage Grove in 1841 has sent a photo of the man. She also has emailed m e a quick history of periods different techniques were used. If she is wil ling, would you like me to post her message? I had asked how glass plates fit chronologically with tintypes. I am not sure I understand her reply in
 that glass was used in both of the techniques before tintypes came along i n the 1850s.

Sara Steele Text Archivist Cottage Grove Area Historical Society
----- Original Message ----- From: Monroe County Local History Room<mailto:mclhr@centurytel.net> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:49 PM Subject: Facebook: necessary evil or PR godsend?

Hello everyone.

Our museum does not currently have a Facebook presence but we’re looking into it. I know little of Facebook and have trepidation about starting up without knowing more about how effective this format has been for small his torical societies and museums for networking. I was wondering if I could a sk those of you who operate Facebook accounts for your historical organizat ion some questions?

--what do you wish you knew when you first started your Facebook page that you know now?

--what tips could you share to make an organization’s Facebook page succe ssful and worthwhile?

--what warnings would you share?

--how much time do you (should you) devote to maintaining your Facebook pag e? How often do you post stuff? I guess I’m concerned about the time com mitment.

--do you find that genealogists appreciate and use it to share/communicate info about family history? Does it work as a listserv?

Thanks!

Jarrod M. Roll

Director - County Historian

Monroe County Local History Room & Museum

200 West Main St.

Sparta, WI 54656

608-269-8680

MCLHR@centurytel.net