Re: Temporary Custody Receipt & Deed of Gift forms issue

Maureen Giese (renie.giese@gmail.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:37:29 -0600

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:37:29 -0600
Subject: Re: Temporary Custody Receipt & Deed of Gift forms issue
From: Maureen Giese <renie.giese@gmail.com>

I have never heard of TCR-Temporary Custody Receipt- forms. At the Waterloo Area Historical Society the Deed of Gift is used and signed, two copies, one to the donor and one on file. I think the State Local History representatives would have a "legal" answer. I have found that donors are very happy to donate items and are not "legally" involved in the particulars. We do have some items on loan, but the people who have been contacted feel keep it until I want it, and most do not want to bother with it. There is only one item I can think of. (On loan) I am not familiar with Past Perfect Software, but perhaps Local History representatives would be the people to know as most of the matching awards for the Mini-Grants have been awarded by them and Local History Members - that is Past Perfect Software.

Possibly we are getting too technical and too legal in this day and age??

Maureen Giese, President and Curator, Waterloo Area Historical Society

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Jack Berndt <JFBerndt1@frontier.com> wrote
:
> In the past year 2010, a new staff of volunteers has discovered
 upwards of a
> hundred-plus (no exact number...) old Temporary Custody Receipt (TCR) f
orms
> scattered about our museum. These are copied word for word from
 the Past
> Perfect software program and typically include the donor's name. As I'm
 sure
> many of you know, the TCR forms represent the initial phase in acquir
ing an
> artifact, and when correct procedure is followed, the next step is
> to complete and sign the Deed of Gift, to ensure legal ownership of a
> donation. Therein lies our problem - for whatever reason in the p
ast -
> a subsequent Deed of Gift was not completed much of the time. In
> addition, the TCRs are often partially filled out, some are signed
by the
> donor, many are not. Choice boxes were left unchecked. These forms go
 back
> through the past decade, into the late 1990s. And as you might expect,
> few of the donors are no longer living.
>
> From an ethical and/or legal standpoint, are we as the current museum
> caretakers obligated to go through each and every one of these aged and
> inherited TCR forms in an attempt to secure a signed Deed of Gift f
rom the
> donor; or when warranted, relatives of the donor? We have been doing
this,
> but it is a daunting and overwhelming task in terms of time and
> research. Our historical society has a very small number of staff
 (all
> unpaid volunteers) and given the usual attrition with this kind of help
, it
> will predictably take years and years to work on this problem. An
d the final
> count is not in... we are continually finding more TCRs as we look thro
ugh
> and catalog our collection!
>
> Our museum has recently changed the collections policy so that from
 now on,
> "going forward" - a Deed of Gift is immediately signed by a donor givin
> us legal ownership of an item(s) at the time of the initial exchange.
 Based