Temporary Custody Receipt & Deed of Gift forms issue

Jack Berndt (JFBerndt1@frontier.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:34:27 -0600

From: "Jack Berndt" <JFBerndt1@frontier.com>
Subject: Temporary Custody Receipt & Deed of Gift forms issue
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:34:27 -0600

In the past year 2010, a new staff of volunteers has discovered upwards of a hundred-plus (no exact number...) old Temporary Custody Receipt
(TCR) forms scattered about our museum. These are copied word for word from the Past Perfect software program and typically include the donor's name. As I'm sure many of you know, the TCR forms represent the initial phase in acquiring an artifact, and when correct procedure is followed, the next step is to complete and sign the Deed of Gift, to ensure legal ownership of a donation. Therein lies our problem - for whatever reason in the past - a subsequent Deed of Gift was not completed much of the time. In addition, the TCRs are often partially filled out, some are signed by the donor, many are not. Choice boxes were left unchecked. These forms go back through the past decade, into the late 1990s. And as you might expect, a few of the donors are no longer living.

From an ethical and/or legal standpoint, are we as the current museum caretakers obligated to go through each and every one of these aged and inherited TCR forms in an attempt to secure a signed Deed of Gift from the donor; or when warranted, relatives of the donor? We have been doing this, but it is a daunting and overwhelming task in terms of time and research. Our historical society has a very small number of staff (all unpaid volunteers) and given the usual attrition with this kind of help, it will predictably take years and years to work on this problem. And the final count is not in... we are continually finding more TCRs as we look through and catalog our collection!

Our museum has recently changed the collections policy so that from now on, "going forward" - a Deed of Gift is immediately signed by a donor giving us legal ownership of an item(s) at the time of the initial exchange. Based on these findings as described, the Board of Directors is also asking this important question: do we legally own the articles in our museum when there is no documented signed Deed of Gift, only a signedTemporary Custody Receipt associated with that item?

We're considering legal consultation at some point, but are curious if this scenario is unique or have other museums encountered a similar situation. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you,

Jack Berndt, Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society Board of Directors & Acting Museum Manager