Re: Criteria for Board of Directors

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:25:06 -0600

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Criteria for Board of Directors
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:25:06 -0600

We (Kenosha History Center) have no developed criteria for evaluating prospective board members. But we have a number of informal interests in the overall composition of our total rather large board (size flexible, 15 to 18 members) Our interests list would, of course be headed by an “interest in local history” But also would include, “people with special talents for our special needs” (a CPA, an attorney, perhaps) Also people representing our entire county (rural as well as city residents, for example) People representing local govt. entities that help provide our funding
(a county board supervisor, perhaps) People representing local business and civil leadership, people with
“contacts within the community (executives, bankers, professional men and women) People with reputations as workers, who can get things done, with phone calls or actual “elbow grease.” ( energetic
“worker bees,” rather than “drones,” merely the usual names)

In filling specific vacancies, we look at what element(s )were list with the creation of the vacancy, and we try to replace those interests with a new appointee. Thus, what we look for depends on what we lost, thus retaining a suitable balance on the board.
--don jensen

From: LCHS Curator Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 2:12 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Criteria for Board of Directors

We would like to know if any other historical societies out there have developed criteria for evaluating prospective board members. This is probably a task the board should do themselves, with or without input from the executive director, but it would be helpful for us if we had some examples of what criteria other organizations use to evaluate candidates. Also: do you have requirements for candidacy that you publicize?

Thank you for help—and any advice on the subject of director selection is welcome and appreciated!

Peggy Derrick, Curator

La Crosse County Historical Society

P.O. Box 1272

La Crosse, WI 54602-1272