Re: Support Our Troops and Become a Blue Star Museum

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:51:28 -0600

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:51:28 -0600
Subject: FW: Support Our Troops and Become a Blue Star Museum

FYI - Information about Blue Star Museums program.

Field Services is now on Facebook! Stay informed about upcoming events and connect with local history and pres ervation colleagues across the state. Find us on <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wisconsin-Historical-Society-Fiel d-Services/137197716311864?ref=search&v=wall#!/pages/Wisconsin-Historic al-Society-Field-Services/137197716311864> Facebook

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Socie ty c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

________________________________ From: AASLH Membership [membership@aaslh.org] Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:44 AM To: Seymour, Janet I - WHS Subject: Support Our Troops and Become a Blue Star Museum

Having problems reading this email? Click here<http://www.aaslh.org/bluesta rmuseums.htm> for the web version.

[http://www.aaslh.org/images/03.home_r1_c1_000.gif] [http://www.aaslh.o rg/images/03.home_r1_c2_000.jpg] [http://www.aaslh.org/images/03.home_r2_c2
_000.gif]

AASLH Encourages Members and Institutions to Become Blue Star Museums

Dear Friends of AASLH:

I am writing to invite you to join with the National Endowment for the Arts
 and Blue Star Families for the second year of the Blue Star Museums<http:/
/apps.nea.gov/BlueStarSignUp/MainPage.aspx> program, which provides free ad mission to active duty military personnel and their families between Memori al Day and Labor Day.

Last summer the program was a huge success. 919 museums – from fine arts museums to science and nature centers to historical houses – joined the B lue Star Museums Honor Roll, welcoming more than 250,000 active duty milita ry personnel and their families. Participating museums often noted the bene fits of reaching out to this audience. Blue Star Museums also received subs tantial media attention, through hundreds of stories in national and local broadcast, print, and online media. Participating military families praised
 Blue Star Museums as a welcome respite from their daily cares, and a welco me gesture of appreciation from the history community.

Over a million Americans have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, over 900,00 0 children have said goodbye to a parent at least once since the fighting b egan, many have endured 2, 3, 4 or more deployments. These families often f eel that their sacrifices may seem to go unnoticed. The Blue Star Museum pr ogram says to our nation’s military families that the history community r ecognizes and honors their contribution, by opening the doors to our nation
’s treasures to those who have been serving so long and so faithfully.

This year, Blue Star Museums will begin on Memorial Day, May 30, 2011 and e xtend through Labor Day, September 5, 2011.

The process is simple: just follow this link to sign up on-line.<http://app s.nea.gov/BlueStarSignUp/MainPage.aspx>

Please respond before March 1, 2011 so that we can be sure you are properly
 listed on the Blue Star Museums Web site and in any other materials we pro duce.

Once your registration is complete, you will receive a welcome email with a
 link to the Blue Star webpage where you will find information on admission s eligibility and promotional resources to help you share news about this s ummer program. You must have the permission of your Director to register.

We will have a press launch on or before Memorial Day 2011 and would be dee ply appreciative if you would join Blue Star Museums.

Sincerely,
[http://www.aaslh.org/images/clip_image002_001.gif] Rocco Landesman Chairman, National Endowment for the Arts

[http://www.aaslh.org/images/ArtWorks.govNEH_000.jpg]

[http://www.aaslh.org/images/BlueStarMuseums_000.jpg]<http://apps.nea.gov/B lueStarSignUp/MainPage.aspx>

CONTACT Nicole Pino 202-682-5451 bluestarmuseums@arts.gov<mailto:bluestarmuseums@arts.gov>

"….the more than 900 museums that participated helped to make this a summ er to remember for so many military moms, dads, and kids. Service members a nd their families give so much to our country each day, and it is an inspir ation to see so many organizations and individuals giving something back fo r their courageous service."

- First Lady Michelle Obama

Even if your institution is already offering a similar program, joining Blu e Star Museums will amplify your existing efforts.

------- JOIN AASLH ON -------

[http://www.aaslh.org/images/facebook_000.gif]<http://www.facebook.com/grou p.php?gid=57955422199&ref=mf> [http://www.aaslh.org/im ages/twitter_000.jpg] <http://twitter.com/AASLH> [http
://www.aaslh.org/images/linkedin.jpg] <http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid
=679787&trk=hb_side_g>