Re: Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week!

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:34:43 +0000

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Subject: FW: Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week!
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:34:43 +0000

From: Stephen Zielke [mailto:zielkefamily@charter.net] Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 2:58 PM To: Seymour, Janet I Subject: Celebrate Wisconsin Museums Week!

"Museums and Memory: Objects Tell Your Story" is the Focus of the 6th Annu al Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day

SAVE THE DATE! Wisconsin Museums Week 2011: May 14 - 22,
 2011 International Museum Day:
  May 18, 2011

What is Wisconsin Museums Week? What is International Museum Day?

                * Since 1977, International Museum Day has provided a nucl eus for museums' creative aspirations and efforts and a focus for internati onal attention on work done by museums.

                * Since 2006, Wisconsin Museums Week, a program sponsored by the Wisconsin Federation of Museums (WFM), has been held in conjunction with International Museum Day and has provided Wisconsin museums an opportu nity to promote their institutions.

                * Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day are springboards for initiatives that promote the work of our institutions to t he public, draw attention of supervisory bodies and governments to the role
 and needs of museums, and foster
   dialogue between professionals and across disciplines.

                * Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day focu s on a different theme each year. The theme for 2011 is "Museums and Memor y: Objects Tell Your Story." Museums store memory and tell stories. They
 have numerous objects in their collections that are
 basic to the memory of the communities we live in. These objects are the expressions of our natural and cultural heritage. Many of them are fragile
, some endangered and they need special care and conservation.

                * Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day will
 be an occasion for visitors to discover and rediscover individual and coll ective memory.

                * Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day is y our institution's chance to participate in a statewide celebration of Wisco nsin museums by either creating or incorporating existing programs into the
 week of May 14 through May 22. W FM will distribute printed materials (posters and bookmarks) to participati ng museums and promote Museum Week activities through its website and commu nications.

In short, Wisconsin Museums Week is your institution's chance to join with other museums and historical societies from around the state to SHOWCASE WI SCONSIN'S COLLECTIONS AND THE STORIES THEY TELL!

Should my institution participate? Yes! All cultural institutions in Wisconsin are welcome to participate. W isconsin Museums Week is a free opportunity to promote your institution to the public as well as to supervisory bodies. It is a unique opportunity fo r Wisconsin's museums to work together and demonstrate the importance of mu seums to the state of Wisconsin as well as local communities. Last year mo re than 34 Wisconsin museums participated, and WFM would love to have more than 50 institutions participate in 2011.

Is there an opportunity for my institution be spotlighted on the Wisconsin Museums Week poster and bookmark? Yes! Send high resolution images now until Friday, February 25 to Bridgitt
 Zielke at zielkefamily@charter.net<mailto:zielkefamily@charter.net>. The content of the images should relate to Wisconsin Museums Week's theme of "M useums and Memory: Objects Tell Your Story." Pictures of museum patrons i nteracting with museum objects would be ideal.

How does my institution register? Please complete the attached registration form and return it by Friday, Apr il 1, 2011.

Questions about Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day? Contact Wisconsin Museums Week Coordinator and Independent Museum Program C onsultant, Bridgitt Zielke at zielkefamily@charter.net<mailto:zielkefamily@ charter.net> or by phone at 920-452-6276.