RE: musty smell from old furniture

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:05:20 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:05:20 -0500
Subject: RE: musty smell from old furniture

Here is a link to an article from the Canadian Conservation Institute about
 museum collections and mold. http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/crc/articles/mould-moisissures/index-eng.aspx

It's best to be very cautious about incorporating an artifact into your col lection or building. Many people have allergies and may react. Also, there is a good chance that the mold can spread and cause damage to other items.

Best, Janet

Field Services is now on Facebook! Stay informed about upcoming events and connect with local history and pres ervation colleagues across the state. Find us on <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wisconsin-Historical-Society-Fiel d-Services/137197716311864?ref=search&v=wall#!/pages/Wisconsin-Historic al-Society-Field-Services/137197716311864> Facebook

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region, Wisconsin Historical Socie ty c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Ann Waidelich [annwaid@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:51 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: musty smell from old furniture

From: winifred lacy <pwlacy@chorus.net<mailto:pwlacy@chorus.net>> Date: June 23, 2011 11:19:11 AM CDT

Do you have any tried and true method of getting rid of musty smell from ol d furniture? We have an old teacher's desk that we would like to be able t o use in our new digs but it won't pass the test of the new librarian in t he condition that it is in now. Any suggestions?

Winnie Lacy, Fitchburg Historical Society, pwlacy@chorus.net<mailto:pwlacy
@chorus.net> 608-845-7594