Fox Lake Rifles 150th Anniversary Event Friday August 26th

Tom & Krista Klas (ktklasfl@charter.net)
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:59:33 -0500

From: "Tom & Krista Klas" <ktklasfl@charter.net>
Subject: Fox Lake Rifles 150th Anniversary Event Friday August 26th
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:59:33 -0500

Attention History Enthusiasts!

Come Celebrate the 150th Anniversary

Muster of the Fox Lake Rifles:

Company D, 8th Wisconsin Vols.

The Fox Lake Historical Society cordially invites all to our Sesquicentennial Civil War lecture, book signing, and candlelight preservation walk in Fox Lake, Wisconsin on Friday August 26th starting at 6:00 P.M. at the Fox Lake American Legion Hall.

In late August of 1861, Captain William J. Dawes (Cousin to Rufus Dawes of the 6th Wisconsin) of the Fox Lake Rifles issued the following order to his militia in Fox Lake:

            Headquarters Volunteer Rifle Co.,

          American House, Fox Lake

          August 20th, 1861

          Company Order

The American House in Fox Lake will be the quarters and place of rendezvous for company until ordered into camp at Madison! Members will come into quarters at this place at their earliest convenience, but in every instance certainly before the morning of Saturday, August 31st. You will bring nothing except the clothing you may need to wear, as full supplies will be issued on your arrival in camp. Strict military discipline will be enforced in quarters and regular drill established.

Wm. J. Dawes, Capt.

At six o'clock P.M. we will begin with a robust pork chop dinner with all proceeds going towards preservation. Following our dinner at 7:00 P.M. we will be treated to an historic lecture from author Alden Carter on the Fox Lake Rifles - Company D 8th Wisconsin.

Alden Carter edited the Civil War book Brother to the Eagle: The Civil War Journal of Sgt. Ambrose Armitage; 8th Wisconsin Infantry. Armitage enlisted in the Fox Lake Rifles, Company D, 8th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry here in Fox Lake and served in the 8th Wisconsin until the close of the 8th Wisconsin's service in the war. Alden's lecture will overview the actions of the 8th Wisconsin in the Civil War though the journal of Ambrose Armitage.

Here is a link to Alden Carter's Website for further information on this excellent Civil War Journal of over 700 pages in length. http://www.aldencarter.com/eagle.htm

After Alden's lecture we will have a book signing at 8:00 o'clock in the evening followed by a candlelight walk stopping at the historical Civil War sites in Fox Lake featuring several prominent soldiers homes. Fox Lake raised three different infantry companies for the Civil War and 1/5th of the men in Wisconsin's United States Sharpshooter's Company. Our event will conclude with a militia drill of the Fox Lake Rifles at 9:30 P.M. hosted by members of the Fox Lake Historical Society.

Tickets will go on sale in July for the price of $20.00 per person or
$23.00 at the door This will include the robust dinner, lecture by Alden Carter, book signing, and the candlelight tour of Fox Lake's prominent Civil War buildings and events. All proceeds to support preservation including the Congregational Church that Ambrose Armitage writes about in his journal during his time as a college student in Fox Lake from 1860-1861.

Please contact Tom Klas at (920) 885-9313 - fallriversoldier@hotmail.com or Scott Frank at (920) 296-0254 - scottfrankdesigns@hotmail.com to reserve your tickets. We hope to see you at this special event to celebrate the muster of the Fox Lake Rifles and the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War in Fox Lake.

clip_image002.jpg