Re: Underground Railroad

charles and twilah deboer (ctdeboer@centurytel.net)
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:03:23 -0500

From: "charles and twilah deboer" <ctdeboer@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Underground Railroad
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:03:23 -0500

Iin the book Fond du Lac County the Gathering Place by Maureen Betz and John Ebert there is a reference to the Underground Railroad in Fond du Lac County. on the pond farm soutwest of Brandon James Pond tells of his father who was an abolishtionist often left run away slaves sleep in his fields. James left FdL Co in 1856 to fight beside John Brown in Kansas. When the Civil war started he enlisted in the 3rd Wiscinsin Cavalry Co. G He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his services. He wrote about this in his memiors Eccentricities of Genius. Ihave located the Pond farm. I have also heard stories of the Underground Railroad running east of Beaverdam and in the city of Ripon but do not have any documentation to prove that this is true, There is a man from Beaverdam that has done extensive research on James and George Pond. Off hand I do not know his name.

Twilah DeBoer Brandon Historical Society.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Weynand" <weynand@netwurx.net> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:05 PM Subject: Underground Railroad