Re: Local History Time line Publication

Maureen Giese (renie.giese@gmail.com)
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:54:31 -0600

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:54:31 -0600
Subject: Re: Local History Time line Publication
From: Maureen Giese <renie.giese@gmail.com>

If you would like to visit with me at the Waterloo Area Historical Society/Museum I can show you what my late husband, Ronald L. Giese compiled re: history of Waterloo, WI. At the request of the Mayor, Ron and I (mostly Ron) compiled a 214 page Sesquicentennial Book titled "Sesquicentennial 2009 A Bird's Eye View of Waterloo, Jefferson County, Wisconsin." This was in celebration of Waterloo's 150 years of existence. We included a brief time line (actually covering 150 yrs), pictures, century old homes, etc. This took five months to compile, and that was a rush because the Mayor notified us too late, but it was done. At the expense of my husband's health. I can also review with you how we went about having it printed.

Maureen Giese, President & Curator of The Waterloo Area Historical Society

)
> The format permitted some detail, but still could have become very long
> covering covering more than 200 years (1824 until 2000).
> Although it would be an excellent reference, it would be difficult to fin
> what you were looking for unless you knew approximately when something ha
> occurred. So I set it aside.
>
> Examples: The 1830s items summarized info we had collected from a variety
 of
> sources.  The 1910 items were taken from 1910 news columns.

          1830s

>  1824      Ho-chunk (Winnebegos) transfer land which includes
 C.G. by means
> of  treaty thus preparing the way for the government to sell land.
>
>  1832      Illinois and Wisconsin militia chase Chief Black H
awk and 1,000
> of his followers across Cottage Grove township on way from Hustiford to
> Wisconsin Heights. Although a small war with Indians who were not native
> Wisconsin,  the victory made potential settlers feel safer.  Black Ha
wk was
> not a Wisconsin  Indian.  His band had been moved off its lands in Il
linois
> and he was trying  to regain them.
>
>  1834      The North West territory  survey establishes tow
nship and section
> boundaries and sets the means of describing land when sold.  Since then
> Cottage Grove has been known as Town 7,  7 North. Range 11 East (T. 7-
7
> N-R.11 E)
>
> .1838      The federal road from Madison and Milwaukee is compl
eted  about
> where BB is today.  It was meant to link to the Ft. Howard (Green Bay)
and
.

>  1838      Work begins on first capitol building at Madison.
  The lakes are
> still known by numbers—First, Second, etc.--rather than names.
>
>  1838      First Cottage Grove land was  purchased by Phili
p Kearney,
> eastern army officer and land  speculator  who did not live on the la
nd.
> He reached the rank of General and died in the Civil War.  He and his f
ather
> bought up hundreds of acres with the help of a Beloit Lawyer.
>

>                     - - - - -
>
> 1910    The hotel barn burned killing two horses.  Irvin Witte is
 so anxious
> to tell people that there are horses in the barn that he puts his head
> through the window without opening it.
>  1911    Cottage Grove State Bank began operation south of the tr
acks on
> Main  Street.
>
> 1912    Witte and Steinhauer became Witte, Korfmaker and Farr.
They sold
> motorcycles.
>
> 1912    Sam Kennedy was killed when the morning train spooks his te
am as he
> is returning  from taking his niece to teach at Vilas.
  1913    Witte,