Re: laminating

Bernstein, Rick A - WHS (Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org)
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:45:24 -0600

From: "Bernstein, Rick A - WHS" <Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:45:24 -0600
Subject: FW: laminating

From: Mullen, Kathleen D - WHS Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:44 AM To: 'localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu' Subject: RE: laminating

Hi Marcie:

You're correct to question the stability of lamination over time - essentia lly the very things that make the plastic so easily sticky and moldable wil l leech into the prints themselves over time and cause them to start to bec ome translucent - and the whole package will start to deform and buckle as those plasticizers leech out of the plastic.

These websites have some picture of what happens: http://www.louisianabindingservice.com/problems.html http://anthropology.si.edu/conservation/lamination/

Your usual method sounds good! Here are links to good information for anyon e looking for more on good storage techniques, along with answers to a who le host of other preservation questions:

National Park Service Conserve-O-Grams http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/14-02.pdf

NEDCC Preservation Leaflets: http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/4Storage_and_Handling/11StorageEncl osures.php

Cheers! Katie

Preservation Coordinator, Wisconsin Historical Society Library-Archives From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:<mailto:localhistory-request@l istserve.uwec.edu> [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]<mailto:
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]> On Behalf Of Marcie Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:48 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu<mailto:localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: laminating

One of our members of our museum thought to do us a favor by having enlarge ments made of his photos and then laminating them and then to donate them t o the museum. I wondered if the lamination was archivally safe. I usually s tore photos in acid free poly sheets and then in glass frames. Please, does
 anyone know what the lamination will do?