Re: Fur Storage

Tracy Behrendt (tracybehr17@yahoo.com)
Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:29:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tracy Behrendt <tracybehr17@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fur Storage

Because of the possibility of pest infestation when it comes the furs, stor ing them in a temperature/humidity controlled environment is best when not on display. An easy, and archival, method of storage is Rubbermaid containe rs. These are waterproof and mostly air-tight, which is ideal for furs. I
 have been told this at several museum-related conferences and workshops. B e sure to wrap them in an acid-free tissue (unbuffered) inside the containe r.
  I would also suggest that when you take them off display that yo u clean them thoroughly (a HEPA vacuum with a screen over the furs to preve nt vacuuming up loose areas) before moving them into storage. This will pre vent any pests/dirt from getting on properly stored items in storage.

I hope this is helpful!
  Tracy Behrendt

From: Gary Kun z <kunztwo@centurytel.net> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: F riday, August 10, 2012 9:38 AM Subject: Fur Storage

We have acqui red a number of fur wraps and coats.  What is the best/correct way to sto re them when not on display?
  Gary Kunz Fall Creek Historical Soci ety