RE: Listserve - weddng dresses, etc

Peggy Derrick (lchscurator@centurytel.net)
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:08:13 -0500

From: "Peggy Derrick" <lchscurator@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Listserve - weddng dresses, etc
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:08:13 -0500

You only have two wedding dresses? Wow--count yourself lucky. Most societies have way too many. If you only have two, and they have good provenance AND the donor is still an active member, I'd say you should keep them. However, these are textiles: restoration is usually not feasible or possible. The best you can hope for is stabilization and conservation. Most of the time discoloration is irreversible. Attempts to remove it will do more damage than good. Do what you can (acid free storage, no light) to conserve them, and accept that they are historic artifacts, not shop window displays. And collect photos of the dresses being worn as documentation--it's the stories that make them important.

Peggy Derrick, Curator La Crosse County Historical Society P.O. 1272 La Crosse WI 54602 608-782-1980

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 6:40 PM To: Listserve Subject: Listserve - weddng dresses, etc

  Hi Listserve members,

 I would like to hear from some of you on these issues. First of all, do you accept wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses that are old and have been stored in plastic bags for years so they all yellow? If you do, how do you get them cleaned and the yellow removed?

 We have two wedding dresses. They are from a member and also her mother. Both are yellowed. Looks like the mother's dress had been cleaned years ago but the member's dress had never been cleaned.

 I am sure that many have dealt with this issue and can give me some words of advice.

 Thanks, Nancy O'Kelley
 President
 Howard-Suamico Historical Society