Choices for a small locality

Sara Steele (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Fri, 06 Nov 2015 08:05:34 -0600

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 08:05:34 -0600
From: Sara Steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Subject: Choices for a small locality

Our Historical Society’s “museum” currently is a community receptacle for wide ranging “nostalgia” items. It serves a purpose and a need, but we keep running out of storage space.

1. Can you recommend any articles, leaflets, etc which outline ways of solving this problem? For example *alternative foci* for “museums” operated by village/ township historical societies?

2.Are there choices of foci beside focusing on a specific time period, specificgroups of objects, or a nationality heritage?

3. If your museum is focusing on a time period in the 1900s, what years are you targeting?How did you come to the decision?

4. If your museum is focusing on one or more specific groups of artifacts, what group(s) and how did you decide?

5. Are any HS’s experimenting with virtual collections, primarily using photographs and DVDs?

(We have started a Facebook Page (Cottage Grove, WI. Area Historical Society) using past, current, and “then and now” photos from our 7,000 photos. We occasionally include photos or individual artifacts, but our major focus is on places and people.

.

6.How did you help your group decide whether to stay general or to adopt one or more foci?

Feel free to choose any of the questions to respond to.I realize how busy you are. Sara M. Steele, smsteele@wisc.edu
<mailto:smsteele@wisc.edu> Cottage Grove Area Historical Society