Re: Fw: Looking for groups that have published on local schools - from Bayfield County

Russ Hanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Wed, 08 Jun 2016 07:42:37 -0500

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 07:42:37 -0500
From: Russ Hanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Looking for groups that have published on local schools - from Bayfield County

On Jun 07, 2016, Seymour, Janet I - WHS wrote:
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: Marian Schraufnagel <marschrauf@gmail.com>
> SENT: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:25 AM
> TO: Seymour, Janet I - WHS
> SUBJECT: Schools book
>
> The Bayfield County Historical Society is working on a book about all
> the schools that were part of Bayfield County. We are gathering lots
> of information and getting ready to put it in a book for.
>
> We are wondering if any other counties in Wisconsin have done this.
> If so, could you get us contact information so we can see how they
> handled some of the logistics? We'd appreciate your help with this.
> It's a big task.
>
> Marian Schraufnagel
> BCHS Secretary

Many years ago, the Home Makers of Polk County Wisconsin gathered information on each of the hundred or more rural and village schools and published a book. They had it printed through the local newspaper office which does book printing. They had it reprinted once -- each time a 1000 copies to get a decent price. It is black and white only (old photos are already black and white).

Since then, we have printed a dozen different local history books, doing self publishing through Amazon's createspace.com site. We just finished and ordered books on a local town history, Falun, WI in Burnett Co. We put the book together with Microsoft Word inserting the photos in the text, edited the book and then saved it as a pdf file and submitted it through createspace.com. We went through a few proofs, and just ordered 50 copies. The total cost besides our own time in putting it together completely, is $136 for the 50 books. Color cover, rest grayscale, 100 pages 8.5x11, soft cover with perfect (glue) binding, and printed in any number from 1 to whatever. The price for each is $2.15 plus tax plus shipping in Wisconsin whatever amount you order. Of course shipping comes down a great deal when you order 20 versus 1. The book is on Amazon for sale too. The only cost other than our own work, is the cost each time you order more books. You can print books of any size too. Another full color (every page is printed as color) book was 300 pages 8.5x11 (I like this size for books with many photos), just under $20 per copy in any amount. Perfect binding, and non-glossy paper, but quite good.

For a self-published book, you can hire the layout and editing and cover made etc. but if you can use a word processing program and know how to insert photos and set the margins and page size, that is about all that is needed to do it yourself. If you have questions send me an email.

--
Russ Hanson riverroadrambler@gmail.com