RE: Funding for paid staff?

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:39:17 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Funding for paid staff?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:39:17 -0500

Hi Katie,

We have a paid part time curator and our funding for that position comes through a Benefactor Drive that is held in Dec. each year. We flat out ask for money for the curator's position (paid by the hour, not salaried). This is our only source of money for that position. Letters go out to society members and local businesses.

We have raised from $5,000 to $9,000 annually with the $9,000 a rare occurrence. I am the curator and I work year around but the amount of hours I work depends on the amount of money raised.

I realize that you are seeking info for full time paid person(s) so this may not be all that much helpful to you. We decided some time ago that raising money by bake sales, etc. just doesn't do it for us. Our banker had contributed money to support the society and he finally suggested we ASK people for money and it has worked for us in our situation.

We are a rather small society with very limited funds. By holding this Benefactor drive, we do not have to touch those fund and the Benefactor funds are kept separate from the general fund.

Please get back to me if you have further questions.

Rita Frakes, Curator Mazomanie Historical Society

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Katie Kirby Sent: Monday, June 06, 2016 7:19 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Funding for paid staff?

Hi all,

For those of you who have paid staff, where do you get your funding for labor/salaries? We currently have a couple part-time seasonal staff members, but are looking to expand to hopefully one full-time, year round.

Thanks, Katie

Katie Kirby

Curator Three Lakes Historical Museum PO Box 250 Three Lakes, WI 54562 www.threelakesmuseum.org
 <http://facebook.com/threelakeshistory> <http://twitter.com/tlmuseum>