Re: Safe storage of fire grenades

Jim Laird (jimhope@charter.net)
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 11:14:24 -0500

From: "Jim Laird" <jimhope@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Safe storage of fire grenades
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 11:14:24 -0500

I contacted the local police and they contacted the Milwaukee bomb squad. The Milwaukee bomb squad came to us and evaluated our potential explosive objects. Jim

From: Kevin Wollemann Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 8:30 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Safe storage of fire grenades

I would recommend contacting some of the local businesses to find whom they use for their fire extinguisher service. Some of those services can reclaim (or neutralize) the contents so you’d still be able to display the “shell” in your collections. You could also contact your local fire department for suggestions. I’m certain that they’d be able to get you pointed in some direction.

Kevin Wollemann

President and Photographer

Knox Creek Heritage Center, Brantwood, WI

Retired Firefighter, Prentice Volunteer Fire Department

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Katie Kirby Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 9:16 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Safe storage of fire grenades

Hi all,

Do any of you have fire grenades in your collections? How do you ensure the safety of your visitors and staff, especially if you do not know if the contents inside is just salt water or oxygen-sucking carbon tetrachloride?

We have two on display in a not-so-safe location in a non-winterized building (do they even freeze?). I would like to keep them in the collection, but I'm considering deaccessioning them if I cannot find a safe solution.

Please advise!

Thanks, Katie