Safe storage of fire grenades

Katie Kirby (curator@threelakesmuseum.org)
Mon, 3 Oct 2016 21:16:14 -0500

From: Katie Kirby <curator@threelakesmuseum.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 21:16:14 -0500
Subject: Safe storage of fire grenades

Hi all,

Do any of you have fire grenades in your collections? How do you ensure the safety of your visitors and staff, especially if you do not know if the contents inside is just salt water or oxygen-sucking carbon tetrachloride?

We have two on display in a not-so-safe location in a non-winterized building (do they even freeze?). I would like to keep them in the collection, but I'm considering deaccessioning them if I cannot find a safe solution.

Please advise!

Thanks, Katie