Museum Lighting

John Grochowski (jgrochowski@ephraim.org)
Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:33:56 -0600

From: John Grochowski <jgrochowski@ephraim.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:33:56 -0600
Subject: Museum Lighting

Good morning,

I am following up on an email I sent out several months ago regarding museum lighting and would like to know what others in the field are doing.

I am in the process of transitioning to LED lighting in our buildings, and I am struggling to figure out what color and lumen output would be best for our space. Our main gallery is an old 1880s barn. The space has rotating exhibits every year and do not necessarily have anything to do with the barn (this year will be on Civil War Soldiers).

For color, I am torn between 2700K Warm White (equivalent to a standard incandescent bulb) and 4000K Cool White (typical office lighting).

For lumens, I cannot decide between 680 (60 Watt equivalent) and 850 (65 Watt equivalent).

I am wondering what type of lights similar museums use who have displays inside historic buildings. I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

*John M. Grochowski, CTA* Director of Operations Ephraim Historical Foundation

3060 Anderson Lane, PO Box 165 Ephraim, WI 54211-0165
(920) 854-9688 www.ephraim.org

*[image: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5-YSqT4B--0LUFiVXg3Wnpp OVU&revid=0B5-YSqT4B--0UFl3N2JpY2pOaFdXVVhQbmwzTnJldUEyVkJNPQ]*

*Ephraim...Where Door County’s Past Lives Today*
image002.jpg