Re: Womens Council research effort to trace history of women in local government in WI

RICHARD ALLEN BERNSTEIN (rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org)
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 18:42:09 +0000

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 18:42:09 +0000
From: RICHARD ALLEN BERNSTEIN <rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: FW: Womens Council research effort to trace history of women in local government in WI

Here's some good info from the Wisconsin Women's Council.

Richard Bernstein, Southern Region Local History-Field Services Office of Programs and Outreach

Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706 608 264 6583 rick.bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org

Wisconsin Historical Society Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846<http://www.wisconsinh istory.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&amp;amp%3Butm_medium=email&am p;amp%3Butm_campaign=si>

SUGGESTED NEWLETTER or E-NEWS ARTICLE (194 words, edit as needed), with gra phic (.jpeg) attached:

New WI Women's History Research Project Help Trace the History of WI Women in Local Government

Public input sought! The Women's Council has launched A Seat at the Politi cal Table, new project to create an historical timeline tracing women's pol itical firsts as local elected officeholders in communities across Wisconsi n. Wisconsin is home to about 2,350 locally elected government bodies - fro m School Boards to County Boards, from City Mayors to County Clerks. Indeed
, the vast number of women holding elected office in Wisconsin are found in
 local government. The women who first gained a seat at the political table
, and brought their voice to the deliberations and decisions of these juris dictions, are largely lost to our collective history. A Seat at the Politi cal Table extend our existing work on the history of women in state governm ent to include women's political firsts in local government - but these sto ries have proven much harder to identify. That's why we need your help! An y other Wisconsin local women's "firsts" or political milestones you want t o tell us about? We'd love to hear about those too. Submission must include
 a contact for follow-up. For more information visit us at: www.womenscou ncil.wi<http://www.womenscouncil.wi>. Submit a story or a tip by email to: womenscouncil@wisconsin.gov<mailto:wo menscouncil@wisconsin.gov>

Contact: Christine Lidbury, 608-266-2219
                    christine.lidbury@wi.gov<mailto:<mailto:christine.lidbury@wi.go v>
WISCONSIN WOMEN'S COUNCIL LAUNCHES "A SEAT AT THE POLITICAL TABLE" * A NEW
 PROJECT TRACING THE HISTORY OF WOMEN IN LOCAL ELECTED OFFICE IN WISCONSIN Public input sought to write women's firsts as local office holders back in to Wisconsin women's political history.
(Madison, WI) In honor of Women's History Month, the Wisconsin Women's Cou ncil has launched A Seat at the Political Table, new project to create an h istorical timeline tracing women's political firsts as local elected office holders in communities across Wisconsin. Wisconsin is home to about 2,350 locally elected government bodies - from S chool Boards to County Boards, from City Mayors to County Clerks. Indeed, t he vast number of women holding elected office are in local government. The
 women who first gained a seat at the political table, and brought their vo ice to the deliberations and decisions of these jurisdictions, are largely lost to our collective history.
"Our history is our strength," National Women's History Project.

We need your help to write these local elected leaders back into our histor y. Submit a story or a tip by email to: womenscouncil@wisconsin.gov<mailto:wo menscouncil@wisconsin.gov>

The Council's Timeline of Wisconsin's Women's Political History, focusing o n women in state elected offices (2008, updated in 2015) has raised awarene ss, generated discussion, and inspired programs and events. Nearly 1,000 ha rdcopies of the poster have been distributed to social, political and educa tional organizations. A Seat at the Political Table extends that history to
 include women's political firsts in local government - but these stories h ave proven much harder to identify. That's why we need your help. For additional information on women in elected office in Wisconsin, free fa ct sheets and reports are available on the Women's Council website homepage
 at www.womenscouncil.wi.gov<http://www.womenscouncil.wi.gov>.

About the Women's Council. The Women's Council is Wisconsin's statutory com mission on the status of women and girls. Established in 1983, the Council promotes initiatives that empower women, serves as a clearinghouse for info rmation for and about women, and promotes unique partnerships to address is sues affecting Wisconsin women. The Council is governed by a 15-member Cou ncil that is appointed by the Governor and legislative leaders. For more i nformation about the Wisconsin Women's Council visit our web site at http:/
/womenscouncil.wi.gov.

# # #

ญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญ______

Christine Lidbury Executive Director

Wisconsin Women's Council State of Wisconsin 101 East Wilson, Madison, WI 53703 608.266.2219 p 608.264.9500 f Visit us at http:/womenscouncil.wi.gov

The Wisconsin Women's Council, established in 1983, is state government's s tatutory commission on the status of women and girls in Wisconsin. The 15-m ember Council is appointed by the Governor and Legislative Leaders.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject open records law and may be disclosed to outside parties.

Postcard Graphic.jpg