Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Barbara Nehring (tradingpostint@gmail.com)
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:24:00 -0500

From: Barbara Nehring <tradingpostint@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:24:00 -0500

Hi all: Would love to have a major discussion on this topic as our pool of volunteer docents and archives personnel dwindles. The Land O’
 Lakes NorthernWaters Museum is open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. from the end of June through Labor Day weekend. We try to stay open at least one day a week in early fall, increasing to weekends through Colorama, which is about mid- September to mid-October. Special tours can always be arranged, even in the winter, since we do keep a minimum of heat on in the building during our cold season. We are all volunteer, and we are 501 (c) status. We get no money from our small town, but, because our museum is on Town property, we do get snow plowing and grass cutting. We hold docent training sessions at the beginning of the season as our second homeowners begin to return. Usually a volunteer will pair up with a friend for one day. Some volunteers split shifts. Our volunteers currently guide visitors throughout our small museum and answer questions, directing some questions which they can’t answer to a Historical Society officer who can pursue the query and get back to the questioner either by phone, email or snail mail. Our volunteer archivists come in to our workroom whenever they have time. This means many of our donated artifacts take quite a bit of time to be accessioned and catalogued….beginning to be a major problem. I would like to know if other museums have volunteers accomplish some sort of work when they are tending the museums, and if so, what type of work . I would also like to know what the pay range for archivists, or museum workers—and/or a curator, both experienced and not experienced—would be.

Barbara Nehring President; Land O’ Lakes Historical Society
> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Maureen Giese <renie.giese@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Waterloo Area Historical Museum (Wis) is open every Sunday
afternoon, 1-4 P.M., Memorial Day to mid-September. Other days by appointment.

> There are three volunteers who are guides, two work at a time every
Sunday.

> One person, usually the Curator, works as many days in a week as
needed. If more people are needed for cleaning, etc., fundraising there are other members who help out.

> No one is paid. We are a volunteer organization, Tax-Exempt 501 (c)
Status, for donations and Memorial Gift giving. No City contributions annually, but some money designated for major projects.

<cathim@cityofpeshtigo.us <mailto:cathim@cityofpeshtigo.us>> wrote:
> Doing a survey to see what other Museums are doing that have
Curators/Guides. Looking for answers to the following questions.