RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Bobbie Erdmann (bobbiee@centurytel.net)
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:41:44 -0500

From: "Bobbie Erdmann" <bobbiee@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:41:44 -0500

    The Berlin Area Historical Society is open the 2nd and 4th Sundays from 1-4 p.m. June, July and August. We usually have a start date

the end of May depending on when Memorial Day falls. We will also open by special requests most times throughout the year for the

main museum (only one of our 4 buildings that is heated).

    Whomever signs up for a particular date works the whole 3 hrs or whatever needed. Most of our members only have to work one weekend

during the scheduled days unless a substitute is needed at the last minute. Some will also volunteer for the special tours such as when the

schools come.

    We are an all volunteer organization. (501C3) Any time given is a donation to the organization including helping with special projects

such as our annual Ghost Walk (our largest moneymaker). We have no paid staff.

    Our club is somewhat different than most in that we have monthly meetings (except in June, July and August) and our membership

makes decisions that affect the organization. Our Board of Directors are only used if a decision has to be made between meetings.

    I noticed that some mentioned city/town contributions. We received
$2,000 each year from our city to help with our mission. One

of our museums (one-room school) is located in one of our parks and the Parks crew takes care of all grounds maintenance. We do

not have to pay for any rent, gratuity etc. As a 501 we are also tax-exempt.

Thanks for getting this chain started. It is very interesting.

Bobbie Erdmann

V.P. Berlin Area Historical Society

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Cathi Malke Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:47 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Doing a survey to see what other Museums are doing that have Curators/Guides. Looking for answers to the following questions.

What hours are your Museums open?

Do the same people work all day, or do you have split shifts?

How often does 1 person work in a week (days in a week)?

Are you paid or is it a volunteer position?

If you are paid, what type of compensation do you receive?

Any other information you might have that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Cathi Malke

President, Peshtigo Historical Society