RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Barron County Historical Society (museum1@chibardun.net)
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:05:37 -0500

From: "Barron County Historical Society" <museum1@chibardun.net>
Subject: RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:05:37 -0500

Pioneer Village Museum

Barron County Historical Society

We are open Friday 1 – 5 pm, Saturday 10 am – 5 pm, and Sunday 1 – 5 pm., Memorial Day to the 2nd weekend in September.

We have about 250 volunteers, who sign up for buildings. We need a minimum of 5 volunteers to run the buildings (seven on a non-event Saturday), but we shoot for about 50 during large events. On Saturdays, some work ½ days and others all day – their choice.

Most volunteers work random days, but some work a given day each week unless they tell us they can’t make it. A couple work multiple days a week.

The only paid positions are: Director – salaried

                                                       Assistant Director – hourly

We have been using SignUpGenius to get our sign-up sheets out to the volunteers. Then two of us spend about half a day calling volunteers to fill the vacant spots. We really like this method, but a large number of our volunteers do not use computers to their full extent, as they are quite elderly. It seems to work well for volunteers who are under about age 75.

Tammy Schutz, Director

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Cathi Malke Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:47 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Doing a survey to see what other Museums are doing that have Curators/Guides. Looking for answers to the following questions.

What hours are your Museums open?

Do the same people work all day, or do you have split shifts?

How often does 1 person work in a week (days in a week)?

Are you paid or is it a volunteer position?

If you are paid, what type of compensation do you receive?

Any other information you might have that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Cathi Malke

President, Peshtigo Historical Society