RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 21:12:39 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Doing research on Curators/Guides
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 21:12:39 -0500

The Mazomanie Historical Society museum is open from 1-4pm on Sundays and holidays from Sunday & Memorial Day through Labor Day and by appointment

Members and friends of the society are volunteer docents. Most docents help once a year. We require 2 docents, never one person alone.

We have a volunteer historian and a research room which is open by appointment. This room is in the public library which is a few steps from the museum

I am a paid part time curator and my hours per week vary greatly. The society holds a Benefactor Fund Drive in December and whatever money is raised is for my hourly compensation. The drive has raised from $4,000 per year to $9,000 per year. I spread my hours out over the entire year so I am available on a regular basis so I might work anywhere from 3-12 hours a week.

Rita Frakes, Curator

Mazomanie Historical Society

www.mazomaniehistory.org <http://www.mazomaniehistory.org/> .

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Cathi Malke Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:47 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Doing a survey to see what other Museums are doing that have Curators/Guides. Looking for answers to the following questions.

What hours are your Museums open?

Do the same people work all day, or do you have split shifts?

How often does 1 person work in a week (days in a week)?

Are you paid or is it a volunteer position?

If you are paid, what type of compensation do you receive?

Any other information you might have that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Cathi Malke

President, Peshtigo Historical Society