Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. (slahsinc@yahoo.com)
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:35:41 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:35:41 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc." <slahsinc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Doing research on Curators/Guides

 What hours are your Museums open? The Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical S ociety, Inc, or SLAHS maintains the Fred H. Keller History Museum in a 3,00 0+ sq ft suite on the 2nd floor of the new village of Sussex Civic Center. We moved last October from our former Chicago & North Western depot locatio n. We were running out of adequate storage and exhibit space. We're still w orking on setting up new exhibits so we haven't gotten around yet to creati ng a formal docent program. Our hours during most of the year are Mondays a nd Wednesdays, 9am to 5pm, also the 2nd and 4th Saturdays, 10am to 4pm. Dur ing the Winter months I intend on closing the museum pretty much after Chri stmas and just be open by appointment. Do the same people work all day, or do you have split shifts? As Society Pr esident, Museum Director/Assistant Curator, etcetera, etcetera, I'm in thos e two to three days a week, and in on other days to work on exhibits and ru nning the Society/Museum. We have BOD and Quarterly meetings. How often does 1 person work in a week (days in a week)? I have one volunte er that comes in on a regular basis, but doesn't have set hours. Our local historian, Fred Keller, now 85+, comes in on an irregular basis to update f iles. A couple of others come in on Wednesday afternoons to have a working planning & steering meetings. I've pretty much dedicated myself to the Soci ety and Museum since retirement, not an obsession, but the primary way
 I spend my time. Working on ways we can get the younger generations intere sted and involved, since most of our membership are in their 70s and 80s.
  Are you paid or is it a volunteer position? All volunteers! If you are paid, what type of compensation do you receive? Only some grief at times, but mainly the enjoyment received.  Any other information yo u might have that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    I've turned the focus of our museum from just one o f our pioneer history and, genealogy to focus on area music, foss ils, and Native Americans and their artifacts.
    We created a new women's exhibit highlighting two n otable women during the year, each getting about 6 months of time.
    We have a Masonic/Eastern Star exhibit since the lo cal lodge dissolved, and building torn down. Those artifacts date back to 1 873/4.
    Before we moved last year, an local area music hist ory exhibit was created, this has expanded to us accumulating music history
, and primarily vinyl records of both State musicians/bands and recording l abels.
    We have a temporary exhibit of old video games, whi ch will come down after this summer.
    Our exhibit of local canning company use of the Kew pie figure in their advertising was enlarged.
    An exhibit of Land O' Lakes Baseball shows Sussex a nd Lannon teams, in 2022 it's their 100th anniversary for league formation.

    Just finished up a display of hundreds of old snack
 food advertising tins, dating back to the early 1900s. Exhibit is of ready
-to-eat snack foods in tins and other memorabilia for potato chip, popcorn,
 and pretzels. Plus there are over 80 reference books on antique advertisin g tins available.
    Now working on completing our A Walk Down Main Stre et exhibit featuring photos and memorabilia of Sussex Main Street residence s and businesses. Regards, Mike  Michael R. Reilly President: Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. SLAHS.org Website Editor Assistant Curator: Fred H. Keller History Museum P. O. Box 32, Sussex, Wisconsin 53089-0032414-530-3121