Re: Medical Emergency Protocol

Rebecca DuBey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:43:56 +0000

From: "Rebecca DuBey" <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:43:56 +0000
Subject: Re: Medical Emergency Protocol

 Hello Bill, This would be included this as part of a Museums written Disaster Policy.
 I have experienced several medical issues in museums, some with, and som e without written policies in which the staff is trained, and have partic ipated in writing a few policies. A good policy includes identifying: sta ff with Emergency training; who stays on the phone with EMT personnel, wh o flags the ambulance from the roadway, who gets them to the entryway, wh o controls crowd, and who is charged as spokesperson (yes, this is import ant!). This is essential for a museum of any size. As part of that policy
, it is a good idea to contact the Emergency services available in the to wn/city just so they are aware of the Museums location, (we, for instance
, have two locations,) where to enter and evacuate a gurney, and other co nsiderations unique to the building or site.

I worked in one museum where a signal was given over the P.A. and staff i mmediately went to their positions; the actions of the staff saved a life
. In another situation, the Museum had no policy. Fifteen minutes into a heart attack, it was discovered a staff member knew CPR. After the ambula nce searched for an entry into the site, located the building, and finall y found a door through which a gurney could enter, they were able to cont inue CPR, but the patient did not survive.

Sections within the Disaster Policy would include response to and prepara tion for emergencies such as internal and external fires (such as the wil dfires in California) bad weather, tornadoes, and floods (both internal a nd emmenant). It is important to include both staff and artifact evacuati on, where staff might be found in case of building collapse, and what eme rgency standing the institution has within the community. Cultural instit utions often have immediate disaster mitigation available through fire de partments, state patrols, national guard, and other emergency responders.
 Immediate mitigation often includes sources available to remove collecti ons as a preemptive measure, guarding damaged buildings susceptable to lo oting, and other measures. To enable this kind of protection, a cultural institution must register, have policies in place, and know when to ask f or activation.

Having a written Disaster Policy is essential to every cultural organizat ion, no matter what the size of the museum or its community. Staff and Bo ard Members need to be trained in its activation and use. As with most el ements essential to running a museum, it is not necessary for each museum
 to reinvent the wheel. Professional organizations have sample policies and procedures readily available. If your museum does not have a professi onally trained staff, please contact me and I can put you in touch with r esources you could use in writing your policy. I am also happy to help an y museum with questions.

Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society Baraboo, Wisconsin 53913
-----Original Message----- From: William Schuette [mailto:wschuette1@frontier.com] Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 06:05 PM To: 'List Serve' Subject: Medical Emergency Protocol

What does your organization do if there is an in-house medical emergency for staff or visitors? Do you have a written emergency protocol for such events?Thanks,Bill