RE: Medical Emergency Protocol

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:10:04 +0000

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Subject: RE: Medical Emergency Protocol
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:10:04 +0000

Here’s some resources you may find useful. Janet Seymour

Guidelines from AAM for disaster planning for museums http://www.aam-us.org/docs/continuum/developing-a-disaster-plan-final.pdf

Sample of a museum emergency plan: http://www.fortmissoulamuseum.org/docs/policy/EmergencyPlan-Aug09.pdf

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Rebecca DuBey Sent: Friday, December 15, 2017 12:44 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Medical Emergency Protocol

 Hello Bill, This would be included this as part of a Museums written Disaster Policy. I have experienced several medical issues in museums, some with, and some without written policies in which the staff is trained, and have participated in writing a few policies. A good policy includes identifying: staff with Emergency training; who stays on the phone with EMT personnel, who flags the ambulance from the roadway, who gets them to the entryway, who controls crowd, and who is charged as spokesperson (yes, this is important!). This is essential for a museum of any size. As part of that policy, it is a good idea to contact the Emergency services available in the town/city just so they are aware of the Museums location, (we, for instance, have two locations,) where to enter and evacuate a gurney, and other considerations unique to the building or site.

I worked in one museum where a signal was given over the P.A. and staff immediately went to their positions; the actions of the staff saved a life. In another situation, the Museum had no policy. Fifteen minutes into a heart attack, it was discovered a staff member knew CPR. After the ambulance searched for an entry into the site, located the building, and finally found a door through which a gurney could enter, they were able to continue CPR, but the patient did not survive.

Sections within the Disaster Policy would include response to and preparation for emergencies such as internal and external fires (such as the wildfires in California) bad weather, tornadoes, and floods (both internal and emmenant). It is important to include both staff and artifact evacuation, where staff might be found in case of building collapse, and what emergency standing the institution has within the community. Cultural institutions often have immediate disaster mitigation available through fire departments, state patrols, national guard, and other emergency responders. Immediate mitigation often includes sources available to remove collections as a preemptive measure, guarding damaged buildings susceptable to looting, and other measures. To enable this kind of protection, a cultural institution must register, have policies in place, and know when to ask for activation.

Having a written Disaster Policy is essential to every cultural organization, no matter what the size of the museum or its community. Staff and Board Members need to be trained in its activation and use. As with most elements essential to running a museum, it is not necessary for each museum to reinvent the wheel. Professional organizations have sample policies and procedures readily available. If your museum does not have a professionally trained staff, please contact me and I can put you in touch with resources you could use in writing your policy. I am also happy to help any museum with questions.

Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society Baraboo, Wisconsin 53913

-----Original Message----- From: William Schuette [mailto:wschuette1@frontier.com] Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 06:05 PM To: 'List Serve' Subject: Medical Emergency Protocol

What does your organization do if there is an in-house medical emergency for staff or visitors? Do you have a written emergency protocol for such events? Thanks, Bill