looking for copies of the ODANAH STAR

KATHLEEN D MULLEN (kathleen.mullen@wisconsinhistory.org)
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 18:06:39 +0000

From: KATHLEEN D MULLEN <kathleen.mullen@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: looking for copies of  the ODANAH STAR
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 18:06:39 +0000

The Odanah Star will be digitized for inclusion in Chronicling America. It' s a wonderful newspaper established by Antoine Denomie of Bad River (and I' ve seen reference to Harry Ashmun of Bad River as the editor.) Patty Lowe s aid this about the paper in Wisconsin Fifteen:

"The pages of The Star reveal Indian people who were interesting and comple x: absolutely steadfast in their defense of treaty rights, downright pushy when it came to politics, and thoroughly enchanted with moving pictures and
 baseball. They were real, richly-textured people, not victims or noble re d men. These were people who acted proactively -who, with Lafollette's help
, ousted their inept Indian agent. These were people who, during the boom c ycle of their boom and bust economy, took their timber money and went on wo rld cruses, panned for gold in Alaska, and tapped danced across Europe."

I would like to make an effort to find issues we are missing from the colle ction at WHS before we digitize. I know the paper under the title Odanah St ar started sometime in 1912. I think it ended in 1916. There are references
 in WHS published bibliographies to a preceding title (Ashland Chronicle) a nd succeeding title (Ashland Star) - which I don't know anything about, or if they are really related.

The paper was published on weekly basis.

We have these issues

July 12 1912

August 16 1912

May 19, 1913 through July 7, 1916

September 9 through September 23, 1916

I have already been in touch with people from Bad River and they have said they do not have any additional material. I'm hoping that a local historica l society might have and be willing to share them for preservation and digi tal publication? We would image the papers and return the originals.

Thank You!

Katie

Katie Mullen Preservation Coordinator, Wisconsin Historical Society Division of Library, Archives, and Museum Collections 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706 608-264-6489 Kathleen.Mullen@wisconsinhistory.org<mailto:<mailto:Kathleen.Mullen@wisconsinhistor y.org>

Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 1846<http://www.wisconsinh istory.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&amp;amp%3Butm_medium=email&am p;amp%3Butm_campaign=si>