Re: Offensive names

James Cermak (jameseff41@gmail.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:08:32 -0600

From: James Cermak <jameseff41@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:08:32 -0600
Subject: Re: Offensive names

As a retired college professor, now on the board of the Butternut Area Historical Society, we spent 40 years teaching that an individual or group cannot 'Ignore' the idiosyncratic behaviors of previous generations. As a 100% Bohemian American - even "Bohunk" was a derogatory slur in its day. Lengthy discussions are in place to guide changes that must be made. I am not an expert, nor do I have online resources at hand, but our Board considers any questionable language concerns, and make changes that are suited to today's cultural perspectives - not those of a prejudiced society from 100 years ago. This is an excellent question, denoting a reasonable evaluation. How would you or an ancestor respond to a derogatory slur? That's what drives the need for adjustments. It is not just 'politically correct.'

--
*Jim Cermak*
*Arts Referral Service*