Subject File Categories

Paul Wolter (pawolter@gmail.com)
Fri, 16 Feb 2018 21:32:39 -0600

From: Paul Wolter <pawolter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 21:32:39 -0600
Subject: Subject File Categories

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how different historical societies and research centers have their files organized. We have subject files for various newspaper clippings and documents on a number of subjects but they are in need of some order. For example instead of a section titled "Restaurants", each restaurant is filed under its own name. We would like to create macro categories but are wondering what they might be..."businesses" seems too broad and yet "appliance stores" seems too detailed. Do you use "car dealers" or "automobile dealerships"? Does anyone have a list of their subject file categories?

Thanks,

Paul Wolter

Sauk County Historical Society