Random Lake Historical Society Newsletter & Annual Meeting Invitation

Holli Feutz (hollihi@aol.com)
Wed, 14 Mar 2018 01:14:13 -0400

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 01:14:13 -0400
From: Holli Feutz <hollihi@aol.com>
Subject: Random Lake Historical Society Newsletter & Annual Meeting Invitation

3/14/17 Historical Society Newsletter attached and copied below, please joi n us for our annual meeting.

RANDOM LAKE AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY Newsletter

Notice of 2018 Annual Meeting Saturday, March 24th, 1:30 p.m. Historical Museum, 111 Carroll Street in Random Lake

Hello Members & Friends of The Random Lake Area Historical Society ~

Please plan to attend and add our meeting to your calendar! Invite your fri ends and neighbors, anyone who has an interest in preserving and sharing the history of this area. RLA HS members will vote for 2018 officers and agenda items. If you are interested in a board position, pleas e let us know and we will contact you. Thanks! Refreshments will be served at this meeting, courtesy of Kathy’s Trackside Cafe’. For those who are not lifetime members ($100), please renew your annual mem bership (for this calendar year) at $15 for a single person, or $25 for a couple. Membership in the Historical Society entitles you to free admission to all society events and to the museum anyt ime, newsletter updates, and
"inside" information on current happenings at the Historical Society. Membe rship applications are available at the museum, or send your check to the address above, with your
 phone number and email address. The RLAHS depends on these funds to maintain our buildings and pay
 utility bills. If you are not a member, won't you consider joining now? We need you...Thanks!

We can reduce costs for mailing newsletters if you provide your email addre ss, so please consider receiving email news. If you’re unable to attend, flyers about upco ming events and the financial report will be available the following month. People may join or pay renewal membership
 dues at Kathy’s Trackside Cafe’ during business hours, Tuesday through Saturday, 8 a.m.--1 p. m. 2017 Special Events in Review It’s been another busy and exciting year for the RLAHS! Our annual meeting was held on 3-25-17. We reported on the society’s operations, finances, cafe’, the Nowack House, our new donated building, and we held board member and officer elections. We received very generous donat ions and matching grants after donors stepped up to provide the funds needed to receive the matched funds. At the time, we had 49 lifetime members, plus about 44 annual members.

The year’s events started off with the celebration of the Lakeview Community Library's 60th Anniversary in April . A panel of people involved in starting the library, former librarians, and the current library director all shared stories about obstacles they overcame to have o ur current beautiful library overlooking the lake.

In May, Hannah Schladweiler brought a lovely selection of clothing, mostly wedding dresses, to explain how fashions and styles come back again with just a few changes throughout the years. Marjie Thiel also had many uniforms and memorabilia on display in June when
 she shared amusing stories from her long flying career as a flight attendant.

In July , a large collection of clowns was displayed in our museum during t he RL Fire Department’s Picnic Days celebration. Then, on a perfect July night, the very popular and talen ted band "High Water”, starring Bernico, Block, Belger and Steffen, performed outside the museum t o a huge and appreciative crowd.

The skies were not as friendly in August when we had the annual car show . The rain did clear up, but there were fewer cars and spectators than usual. Also in August, our member s baked for and worked at a Brat Fry and bake sale fundraiser at Tri-Par. We displayed a wonderful co llection of Gilbert Schmidt's artwork with a "meet and greet” with Gil for the village
’s Fall Festival in September.

The bus trip to the Amish area in Green Lake county was very popular during
 October. People especially enjoyed going to the one-room school, where the teacher and the students spoke to us and sang for us, and we had a good time visiting the grocery store, the wood-wo rking shops, and eating a delicious wedding meal. Also in October, Ed Harvey gave a very interesting talk about surveying and equipment used during the surveying of our local area, Wisconsin, and the n ation.

During his talk about visiting Africa, Tommy Mole shared many pictures of h is climb on Mt. Kilimanjaro and his safari in Tanzania. We hope that you were able to attend many of th ese interesting programs.

Snow globes were featured during the Night of Lights in December. At all of
 our events, Marilyn, Joan and and their crew fixed delicious meals to serve and enjoy. We couldn't ra ise the money we have raised or put on these many events without our wonderful volunteers who have given
 so selflessly of their time. Thank you!

Another Matching Grant Offer for 2018! We have had the good fortune to be able to raise many private donations tha t have allowed us to reach the promised grant amount in 2017. With that track record, another anonymou s, generous individual has offered a grant of $25,000 for 2018! Once again, the key is that we all hav e to try to match that gift to receive it. If we can raise the target amount of $25,000. ourselves, every dollar donated, small amounts and larger, will be “doubled” for the RL Area Historical So ciety up to $25,000!

If you, your family, or business has ever thought about making a donation t o support the Historical Society, NOW is the time because your donation will become double its value
! If you have a historic name from this area, or a certain occupation you’d like to recogniz e, go down in history--put your name where your display might be, or donate in honor of someone else as a gift.

Choose Your Donation Preference Make a straightforward donation ,or sponsor a display area or display case within the museum, or become a benefactor. We also are looking for monthly sponsors to support ou r mission and we are setting our goals for this year. Every donation over $200 will receive an e ngraved plate on the museum’s donor wall. If you donate, a beautiful engraved brass plate with your name and/or logo will be prominently displayed in the area of your sponsorship at the museum.

Display-level sponsorship's are as follows: grocery store counter, bedroom and music parlor, outdoor area, Orth ice house area,doctor’s corner, Wilk funeral home, local
 business display case, Gilson shoe repair area, Jung/Hamm brewery case, school, post office, antique toy count er, sports team area, church religious display, military corner. Nowack House display, farm tools in upp er loft area, and automotive display. We also have a benefactor-level sponsorship for the auditorium are a . Please contact Holli at 414-852-7030 if you are interested in adding your name to our list of gener ous sponsors for the Historical Society. We are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization so your donation is tax
 deductible.

  Cafe’ History, and Looking Ahead When the RLAHS was purchasing the Beger building in Dec. 2012, Rev. Marilyn
 Borchardt had the wonderful idea of creating a coffee shop to help meet expenses for the muse um. The idea was to offer coffee and tea along with muffins and scones, but soon grew to also serve b reakfasts and lunches. Originally the cafe' was open six days a week, Monday through Saturday, and
 staffed by Marilyn as the cook, with volunteer helpers. On her free day she would purchase the cafe's
 groceries (with her husband Ken's help), plan menu items, make homemade jam, create special food for ev ents, and take care of the financial books for the cafe' and historical society. It sounds exhausting,
 doesn't it? Well, the cafe' has been a huge success and has grown in customers and reputation. Many volunte ers have been added including dedicated cooks who make delicious specials for breakfast and lun ch. The cafe' profits have helped pay the RLAHS's ongoing expenses and over a quarter of our bank loan
 and interest. After over four years of managing the cafe, Marilyn is stepping down, but h as given the tasks to four capable individuals. Judy Schluechterman will be handling the financial boo ks for the cafe', Joan Knorr and Laurie Urbanski are in charge of the cafe' operations, and Sharon Goehr ing, with husband Bill, will purchase the groceries. We thank this team for agreeing to manage the cafe'
 along with all of the volunteers who serve so faithfully.

The Historical Society cannot thank Marilyn enough for her vision for the c afe', her hard work, and the endless hours that she has given to make this dream come true. Bravo, Maril yn, for a job well done!

Our Almost-Adjoining South Building In the last year there has been some progress on the new building. The ceil ing and rafters have been painted black, insulation has been installed on the exterior walls, studs f or the interior walls have been put up along with the framing for the bathroom, plumbing pipes and a small wate r heater have been installed, new HVAC units are in, and a large window for the train exhibit has been hu ng. We are currently waiting for the state's approval of the plans drawn up by Project Manager Owen Lavi n from Patera Architecture Firm. The plans include pocket doors that will go through the wall to conne ct the two buildings through the cafe'.

Special thanks go to volunteers Blaine Werner and Pete Dutter who have done
 a truly amazing job, and to all of the volunteers that have given so generously of their time and ta lents. The building wouldn't be nearly this far along without their help. We are looking forward to proceed ing with the building when the state okays the architect’s plans. We will keep you posted and let everyone know when we could use your help.

Beautiful Comfortable Museum Chairs Still Available There are still a few chairs remaining for sponsorship. The chairs will be used during museum events, and we hope to 50 chairs for everyone’s comfort during programs. Th is would be a wonderful gift or memorial for someone! Sponsorship is $75.00 and we will engrave a plate wit h your choice of wording on one line. Please mark your check for a chair and provide your phone number and the engraving you would like. Forms are available at the museum for your convenience--stop in
!

Nowack House Ready For Spring The Nowack house has been under repair since fall 2017. Dan Mondloch from M idway Systems Inc. raised the porch roof to improve the pitch and added flashing to it. The fo undation beam in the front that was deteriorating was removed, replaced with blocks and mortar, and vents w ere added for circulation before a new fascia beam was attached. The porch floor, which had been remo ved because it was also in disrepair, was rebuilt on a newly-created foundation of bricks and morta r. This is a simplified version of what was done, but we may get more information from Dan at our annual meeti ng. Special thanks goes to Dan Mondloch and his helper, Chris from Midway Systems, and to Jim Thiel, w ho, in addition to painting window trim during the summer, took photos, coordinated estimates, consulte d with the contractor, oversaw time schedules and repairs and was the liaison to the board of dire ctors. Another big thank you goes to Jim and Dennis Schulz from Schulz Sawmill for the fascia beams that
 they donated to keep the building looking authentic. The Nowack House looks great now and will be re ady to welcome visitors this spring!

Help Preserve Our Archival Collection of “The Sounder” News paper A permanent record of every Sounder newspaper since 1916 (when it was The R andom Lake Times) is housed here at the Historical Society. This wonderful record of our local h istory has been leather bound and was donated to the RLAHS, and we are THRILLED to have it. The current i ssues are also being bound to add to this historic collection. The cost to bind these is approxi mately $180.00 per year. Can you sponsor a year to cover the cost, or would you make a donation to cover
 a few years? It would genuinely be appreciated! Please contact Holli at 414-852-7030 or send your
 check to our address on page 1, indicating "Sounder Sponsorship". THANK YOU!

Goodbye, Faithful Friend Jean Sepstead This year we lost a very dedicated charter member of the RLAHS who had give n so much of her time and talents to the Historical Society. In recent years, Jean, who was 94, faith fully welcomed museum visitors every Saturday with her “greeting friend” at the front desk
, Margaret Schneider. Jean also worked at special events here, collecting admission from guests and recruiting new me mbers. (Margaret continues to welcome visitors with Graham Rhodes. Thank you, Graham.) Jean was quite a good artist and has given some of her paintings to the museum, and donated cards that she creat ed for the museum to sell. Jean was also instrumental in planning the Historical Society's Fashion Sho w for the Village of Random Lake's Centennial celebration in 2007. We are grateful to have known her an d will miss her sweet smile and cheerful laugh. You inspire us all, Jean, to make this a kinder and gen tler community.

Thank you for volunteering! We need you! Please volunteer! With deep "THANKS" for your support, in all the ways that you "HELP" us! We
 have so many wonderful volunteers, donors, sponsors and advisers. We would not be where we are tod ay without everyone's help, we recognize YOU and TRULY appreciate all that you do… Keepin g Kathy’s 111 Trackside Cafe open 5 days a week takes lots of volunteers, plus planning events. Al and D iane Neumann come weekly to clean and mop the cafe and restrooms. Can you shop, cook, wash di shes, take orders, or clean? Or decorate, plan events, arrange a bus trip, set up chairs, bake fo r events, do gardening at the Nowack House, organize and work at the TriPar brat fry? Volunteer for schoo l groups? Help with construction? No matter what your age or skill level, we have a job for you
! Please lend a hand! Contact Marjie Thiel at 920-994-9206, or Holli Feutz at 414-852-7030, or st op in at the cafe.

See you at our meeting Saturday March 24, 2018 at 1:30 p.m!