Re: Can anyone identify this?

djtotten (djtotten@earthlink.net)
Mon, 14 May 2018 22:46:14 -0500

From: "djtotten" <djtotten@earthlink.net>
Subject: FW: Can anyone identify this?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 22:46:14 -0500

Russ Hanson, Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society, suggested our mystery object is a smudge pot fire starter and I agree. Below is one of many offered on eBay. Asking prices range from about $20-$50.

The "masher" I described may be soapstone that absorbs fuel, such as kerosene, placed in the vessel.

Thank you Russ!

David Totten

President, Board of Directors

New Berlin Historical Society

www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org
<http://www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org/>

djtotten@earthlink.net <mailto:djtotten@earthlink.net>

262-643-8855

From: djtotten [mailto:djtotten@earthlink.net] Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 5:15 PM To: 'localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu' <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Can anyone identify this?

A member brought in for identification a well-made vessel, about 6 inches tall, with a "masher" as shown in the photos. The masher base may be ceramic?

Any ideas?

David Totten

President, Board of Directors

New Berlin Historical Society