Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

FAHP (fahp@centurytel.net)
Wed, 16 May 2018 15:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:32:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: FAHP <fahp@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

We aren't receiving funds from the city's room tax. I'm guessing that our county tourism coalition receives it.

Joanie McKeown, Burnett County Historical Society at Forts Folle Avoine Historical Park

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:35:29 PM Subject: Fwd: Museum's use of City Room Tax question

_____________________________ From: tomahmuseum@charter.net Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 4:37 PM Subject: Museum's use of City Room Tax To: JANET IRENE SEYMOUR <janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>

Janet, Would you please send this out to the other Historical Societies and Museum's in the State?

How many of you are receiving funds from your city's Room Tax? (which is supposed to be used only by non-profits and to be used exclusively for tourism)

We are building a new museum and it was suggested that we should approach our City Council to see if we could obtain a share of the City's Room Tax. We we turned down, as was the local Area Community Theatre who also asked for funding for their building project. We we told that 51% of our expenses had to go directly for tourism and that we did not fit that category according to State Statues and do not qualify according to our City Administrator, the City Council immediately voted us both down. The City Chamber of Commerce Tourism and Vistor's bureau gets the entire amount each month.

Thanks for you comments.

Jim